We are in the final stages of wrapping up the
12 8 Days of Giftmas* and it dawned on me – what does one get the Food Blogger in your life or what do you tell people to get you? Here are a few suggestions – whether you are new at food blogging or a pro, I’m sure there’s something for everyone.
1. One book that should be in every food blogger’s library is Food Blogging For Dummies by Kelly Senyei. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – this book is a treasure trove of information and will help you take your blog to the next level. When I started blogging years ago, I had no idea of what I was doing, essentially I have been flying by the heels of my stilettos. I wish I had this years ago – would have saved me some serious grief. In 2013, expect to see some changes to Cooking In Stilettos and it’s all from stuff I have learned from Food Blogging For Dummies.
2. Another book I love and adore: Will Write for Food: The Complete Guide to Writing Cookbooks, Blogs, Reviews, Memoir, and More by Dianne Jacobs. Dianne’s blog is also a must read daily – my eyes have been opened to much that goes on when it comes to food writing on what to and not to do.
3. Food Photography is not my strong suit but I’ve gotten a bit better over the years. One of my 2013 homework assignments is to work on my shutterbug skills. Gone are the days of the point and shoot (that fell in the spoonbread batter) and while I adored pictures, I still have to learn how to use my Canon Rebel XSi . For the food blogger that wants to learn some photography skills, may I suggest these two lovelies: Plate to Pixel: Digital Food Photography & Styling by Helene Dujardin and Focus On Food Photography for Bloggers (Focus On Series): Focus on the Fundamentals by Matt Armendariz. Both Helene and Matt are amazing photographers (their blogs amaze me on the daily) and you know that the lessons learned from both of them will be priceless.
4. If anything I have learned from Jaden at Steamy Kitchen (well, I learned a ton at Food Blog Forum this year but this really stuck with me) is the use of lights when you have none. I invested in these Lowel EGO Lights some time ago and, confession, I haven’t used them yet. I know – I’m mortified. They have been in my back office, forgotten about in their little box and I’ve seen the magic they can do for food photography. Resolution – in 2013, these lovelies are getting a new spot in the front room because natural light is not often found in my dark abode. Want a prime example of how they can take your photos from nice to fabulous? Check out Jaden’s post on what it did for her photographs.
5. Camera lenses are always a good thing for the food blogger – just make sure to find out what camera they are using. One of my investments this year was a lens for my Canon Rebel XSi that is apparently one of those coveted lenses – Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens for Canon SLR Cameras. After hearing the high recommendations of some fabulous food bloggers, well, I put back the stilettos and got this lovely.
6. One phrase we should all remember for 2013: “Back Up Your Data” because you never know what’s going to happen. Think of all the blog posts, the photography, etc – one swift oops (like when the sous pug and evil minx broke the laptop) and it’s history. A good portable hard drive always helps – There’s a great version for MAC (the G-DRIVE mobile Portable USB 3.0 1TB Hard Drive) and when I used to have a PC, I used a good portable hard drive by Seagate (Seagate Backup Plus 1 TB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive)
7. Finally – you can never go wrong with gift cards. Think of Williams Sonoma, Sur La Table, Crate and Barrel – it’s endless. Plus – there will be some killer sales starting after the holidays and in January so they can get some fabulous props and items for their kitchen. Many stores are also doing the virtual gift card so that’s helpful for last minute shopping.
What would you get your favorite food blogger (or what do you want to see wrapped and ready for you this holiday season?)
- Day 1 ~ All Things Cookbooks, Part I
- Day 2 ~ Williams Sonoma Edition
- Day 3 ~ Sur La Table Edition
- Day 4 ~ All Things Entertaining
- Day 5 ~ All Things Appliances
- Day 6 ~ All Things Cookbooks, Part 2
*With all that has happened recently, while it’s still part of the 12 Days of Giftmas series, we’re only going to do 8 Days this year. Regular posting of recipes and Fab Friday should resume right after the Christmas Holiday.
[FTC Disclosure: This post contains affiliate and/or referral links which help offset the cost of hosting this site. However, as always, my opinions are 100% my own]
You may also like -
Share the love
Get free updates