One thing about being up north means more excuses to break in the new All Clad Deluxe Slow Cooker that I found under the Christmas Tree. I do have to say that I love this slow cooker – I can brown everything in ONE POT and clean up is a breeze. Not to mention it looks phenomenal on my countertop if I do say so myself. See, isn’t it beautiful.
I digress, I know. Beef Stew just calls for chilly weather and I have to say over the past month, Philly has apparently angered Mother Nature so much that she has blanketed the city in waves of white snow a couple of times along with the northeast including New Jersey (perhaps she is also annoyed by the MTV show “Jersey Shore” and Philly got hit by default? – just a thought.) What it has done is sent this gal to the kitchen to try and make her own “Tried and True” version of Beef Stew. I found a recipe for “Slow Cooker Beef Stew” but I have to warn you, I changed it up quite a bit. The end result was a beef stew that has a bit of bite and warms you to the core on a cold winter’s day.
- 2 pounds of beef stew meat cut into 1” cubes
- 1/3 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups beef broth
- 3 potatoes diced
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 cup of whole button or baby bella mushrooms
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 sprig of Rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon of allspice
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Dredge the beef in the flour mixture and set aside. (Reserve the remaining flour!)
- To a large skillet (or, if you have a slow cooker that allows you to brown on the stove), add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and brown the flour crusted beef.
- Place the browned beef cubes in the slow cooker and add the garlic, reserved flour mixture, bay leaf, paprika, tomato paste, allspice, red pepper flakes, Worcestershire sauce, onion, mushrooms, beef broth, potatoes, carrots and celery.
- Cover and cook on Low setting for 10-12 hours or on High setting for 4 to 6 hours.
Adapted from AllRecipes.com
Share the love
Get free updates