*whispers* SHHHHH – c’mere.
I have a confession – I’m one of “those” bakers – you know, the one that uses a box mix when I have to make brownies. To quote one celebrity “personality”, I’m a cook, not a baker. Baking and I have issues – perhaps it was my difficulty with all things chemistry in high school. Perhaps its my “pinch of this, dash of that” mentality when I’m jazzing up a recipe. Any way you look at it – baking has been difficult for me. I applaud those that can bake and hope that with practice, my baking won’t be so heinous.
The Barefoot Bloggers went a bit out of the box – literally – and selected the Barefoot Contessa’s Outrageous Brownies. Now, I know I know – the Barefoot Contessa has a box mix and don’t think I wasn’t tempted to cheat a bit knowing my shortcomings with all things measuring cups and double boilers but then the catholic guilt zapped my behind and I sighed, looked at the recipe, rolled up my [virtual] sleeves and dove in. Note, I had to halve the original recipe because I quite frankly didn’t have a pan that was 18 x 13 but figured “eeeh – it’s like riding a bike.” *snort*
Short of sending my kitchen to hell with the heatwave that’s in Central Florida, making a hell of a mess with everything in the kitchen suddenly needing to go in the dishwasher or sink and the house smelling like a fudge factory, I realized “By George, I think I got this baking thing in check“. Then, well – I got the brownies out of the oven and saw that they were a fudgy dense mess and tossed them back in the oven to crisp up a bit more. Still not totally sold but you know what -they don’t suck. I’ll have to test them on my guinea pigs SL and Kar tomorrow after they cooled.
If you want to give it a shot, I dare you. However, make sure to read the comments and use exact measurements. Somehow I think I added TOO much chocolate but, as Ina Garten says “How Bad Can THAT Be”.
Now excuse me as I go savor my chocolately portion of goodness and try to not eat half of the pan. Who cares how they look – the taste is definitely outrageous.
Recipe courtesy of Ina Garten, The Barefoot Contessa
- 1 pound unsalted butter
- 1 pound plus 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 6 extra-large eggs
- 3 tablespoons instant coffee powder
- 2 tablespoons real vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided (1 cup for batter and 1/4 cup in the chips and nuts)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (my little “improvisation”)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 13 by 18 by 1 1/2-inch sheet pan.
- Melt together the butter, 1 pound chocolate chips, and unsweetened chocolate on top of a double boiler. Cool slightly.
- Stir together the eggs, instant coffee, vanilla, cinnamon and sugar.
- Stir in the warm chocolate mixture and cool to room temperature.
- Stir together 1 cup of the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to cooled chocolate mixture.
- Toss the 12 ounces of chocolate chips with 1/4 cup flour to coat. Then add to the chocolate batter.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until tester just comes out clean.
- Halfway through the baking, rap the pan against the oven shelf to allow air to escape from between the pan and the brownie dough. Do not over-bake!
- Cool thoroughly, refrigerate well and cut into squares.
You may also like -
Share the love
Get free updates