#BaconMonth is drawing to a close and I saved one of my favorite recipes for last for y’all. This BBQ Pulled Chicken BLT Sandwich is everything – flavorful bbq pulled chicken nestled in a soft kaiser bun with thick cut bacon, fresh ripe tomato and peppery arugula. Now that, my friends is the perfect pulled chicken sandwich.
I recently saw a pulled chicken sandwich with bacon recipe on a menu and thought – what about doing a BBQ pulled chicken sammie in BLT form – but without the goopy mayo or frying anything. Eating Well had a fabulous lighter recipe for pulled chicken that I had to play with – it was packed with flavor with essentially ingredients I already had in my pantry.
While I was tempted to make pulled chicken with my favorite bourbon sauce, I decided to leave the bourbon bottle behind and I am so glad I did. This from scratch BBQ sauce is absolutely amazing. While the Eating Well recipe called for green chilies, I decided to go without as I added some fruity heat with the ancho chile spice. If you like things really zippy, you might want to add them and, perhaps, some chipotles in adobo – it would make the flavor really pop.
Looking for a great dinner idea this week – make these BBQ Pulled Chicken BLT Sandwiches and watch everyone go crazy. They are that good.
On to the recipe:
Gather your ingredients
Brown the chicken
Sauteing the onions
Everything in the slow cooker
Time to shred
Let’s build this sandwich – some fresh tomato and peppery arugula
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1½ pounds of boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 small Vidalia onions or 1 medium Vidalia onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 8 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1 tablespoon of Worchestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons of dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon of ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 5 strips of cooked thick cut bacon, cut in half
- 4 thick slices of fresh ripe beefsteak tomato
- 4 ounces of fresh baby arugula, washed and dried
- 4 kaiser rolls
- In a large non-stick frying pan or the insert of a stovetop safe slow cooker, heat the oil over medium high heat.
- To the hot oil, add the chicken thighs and sear until brown. Set aside.
- Add the diced onion to the pan and sauté until translucent. Add the garlic and sauté for another minute.
- To the onion and garlic mixture, add the tomato paste and cook for a minute or so until the color turns to a deeper red color. Remove from the heat and add to the slow cooker insert if using a large nonstick fry pan.
- Add the browned chicken thighs to the slow cooker insert.
- In a bowl, whisk together the tomato sauce, apple cider vinegar, honey, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, ancho chile powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper until everything is combined. Pour the sauce over the chicken and onion mixture that is nestled in the slow cooker.
- Stir so that the sauce coats everything and then put the lid of the slow cooker on.
- Set the slow cooker to low and cook for about 4 hours. Check to see if the chicken pulls apart easily with a fork. If not, cook for another half hour and check again.
- When the chicken is cooked, remove from the slow cooker and shred with two forks.
- Return the slow cooked shredded chicken to the sauce and stir so that everything is coated with the bbq sauce.
- Lightly toast the rolls (optional).
- To the bottom base of the roll, add the arugula followed by the fresh tomato. Add some of the BBQ pulled chicken and top with the two half slices of bacon. Add the top bun and enjoy!
Our last #BaconMonth round up – let’s see what everyone brought today…
It’s nearing the end of the #BaconMonth Giveaway – make sure to enter here!
You may also like -
Share the love
Get free updates