This humidity that is facing Philadelphia is starting to make me think Florida wasn’t as toasty. So, to cool things off, I decided to break in my new ice cream maker. Giada de Laurentiis did a chocolate chip ice cream made with ricotta and I thought this might be fun to try, except with Jersey blueberries fresh from Maple Acres Farm.
One tip with the ice cream maker – make sure to let the bowl freeze overnight or else you might have not so frosty ice cream. I added a lemon simple syrup and that complemented the blueberries along with the vanilla and the ricotta cheese added a nice richness and everything was able to be made simply without heating up the house. It was a nice way to beat the heat and I’m going to definitely be trying a few different variations – hmmmm… wonder how a caramel nutella swirl will work out with this recipe.
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 15 oz. container of ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- 1 pint of blueberries
- Prepare a simple syrup: combine the sugar, water, lemon zest and juice of half the lemon in a pan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes until the sugar is dissolved. Let cool.
- Combine the ricotta cheese and milk and stir until smooth.
- Add the cooled simple syrup and vanilla to the ricotta milk mixture and stir until combined.
- Pour into the ice cream maker and freeze per the manufacturer’s directions.
- 10 minutes before completion, add the blueberries.
- Put the finished ice cream in the freezer to firm up a bit and enjoy.
Recipe adapted from Giada de Laurentiis
Gather the Ingredients
Churn Churn Churn
Add the Blueberries
Other Delicious Recipes
Share the love
Get free updates