This easy Braised Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage is a sweet and savory side dish, perfect for your St. Patrick’s Day festivities.
This post may contain affiliate links to products I adore and trust in my kitchen. Thank you for supporting Cooking In Stilettos.
This St. Patrick’s Day, I’ll be simmering some Corned Beef in the slow cooker and whipping that up for a delicious feast with my favorite Loaded Smashed Red Potatoes, Honey Glazed Carrots and to go with – this Braised Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage. I first made this side dish last year after watching one of my favorite Irish chefs, Kevin Dundon, whisk this up on his PBS show, Modern Irish Chef. It was ridiculously easy to make and just took a few ingredients I already had on hand. I played with this recipe and made a few changes and have been asked already if I was serving this on St. Patrick’s Day again.
This easy cabbage recipe takes only a few minutes to prep with many ingredients you probably already have on hand. Its the perfect balance of sweet and sour with the sweetly tart apples, crisp red cabbage and a hint of orange, all married together in the oven. Added bonus – leftovers are delicious on a corned beef panini – that is if there are any leftovers – it’s that good.
When you are looking for a side dish that you can serve hot or cold, make this Braised Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage!
On to the recipe:
Gather your ingredients
Tossing the onions with the apples, sugar and vinegar
First – let’s layer a bit of the red cabbage
Dotting with a bit of butter and ready for the oven
Now – doesn’t this look scrumptious
Braised Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage
This Braised Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage is an easy side dish, perfect for St. Patrick’s Day and can be served hot or cold.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 - 8
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Irish
- 1 small head of red cabbage, core removed and thinly sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large granny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons of light brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly cracked black pepper
- Zest and juice of 1 medium orange
- 1 tablespoon of butter, room temperature
- Heat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix the onion, apples, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, nutmeg, salt, black pepper, orange zest and juice. Set aside.
- Lightly spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray and add a layer of the red cabbage.
- Scatter the onion and apple mixture over the top of the red cabbage, followed by more of the red cabbage.
- Dot the top of the cabbage mixture with bits of the softened butter. Cover with foil and bake for about 2 hours.
- Remove the foil and bake for another 20 – 30 minutes.
My Favorite Products for this Recipe:
You May Also Like
Share the love
Get free updates