Can you believe it is only a few weeks until summer’s unofficial kickoff – Memorial Day Weekend? Where does the time go? I have a few things planned this month but this summer – all bets are off. After being relegated to Cooking In Sneakers for the time being, I’m determined to get sandal ready for spring and add to my kitchen with some new lovelies. Come – take a peek at this week’s obsessions.
My DVR and I almost got into a horrid row yesterday. As I was leaving for my “no you can’t wear the stilettos yet” doctor’s appointment, I caught a teaser on the Today Show that Colin Cowie was going to be on. I quickly rushed to the TV and set the DVR before I headed out the door. When I got home, guess what wasn’t on the DVR – yup, you guessed it – the DVR apparently decided that there would be no spring decorating tips for me.
Thankfully, the TODAY Show archives their clips online and Colin has some great ideas for bringing spring to the tabletop. This will come in handy when planning the Easter table and bringing a bit of spring indoors this season.
Ahhh – November has just begun and it’s already time to start planning for the holidays. I heard that Colin Cowie was going to be showcasing his new products on HSN today and, as expected, he does not disappoint. Here are a few things that have me “obsessed”…
1. I’m hearing that “Purple is the New Peacock” lately and, of course, Colin is right on trend. I’m obsessed with these stunning purple all purpose glasses that will look perfect on the tabletop for the holidays.
2. I’m in the midst of putting together my home office and have been on the fence for that *perfect* desk – until now. I’ve decided to do a little “glam” in the office and this lovely Mirage Mirrored Console Table will be stunning there! Now – let’s hope the Sous Pug and the Evil Minx keep their noses away.
3. When Colin first launched his line with HSN, I bought some some dinnerware and I have to confess that years later, they still look brand new. For the holidays, he’s offering a 24 piece porcelain scroll design dinnerware set in either antique gold or platinum and let me tell you – it’s GORGEOUS. I highly recommend if you are looking for a quality set that will not break the bank. He’s also got a matching 2 piece serving set and platter that are perfect for the holiday table.
4. I have a rule that I will not start even to THINK about holiday decorating until around Thanksgiving. I get annoyed when I even see the glimmer of a tree up at stores. However, I will only break that rule for Colin. Why, you ask – because his stuff sells out QUICK! I was quick to purchase this flocked wreath for the front door. It’s on a timer, looks chic and will last so much longer than that dried fruit mess that I got last year. I learned my lesson.
5. Speaking of selling out, I have to confess – I saw this Starburst Wall Mirror yesterday – knew I wanted it and figured that I’d have time to just purchase it in the morning. Well, this morning when I logged into HSN to purchase, guess what I saw – the big letters SOLD OUT. Well, should Colin care to bring this stunning piece back back, please let a gal know because I learned my lesson.
6. If you don’t have one of Colin’s beverage servers, you might want to snatch this Beverage Server with Infuser and Chiller Inserts up quick. It’s on clearance at a great price and they are phenomenal. I use mine whenever I entertain and it always garners compliments.
7. Finally, there’s something that HSN started to do last year which both Colin and Ingrid participated in – namely, designing ornaments that benefit St. Jude’s Research. St. Jude is a charity that is near and dear to me and any time that I can support it, I do. Colin designed a gorgeous birdcage-esque ornament for 2011 that is a must for everyone’s holiday tree.
When I moved up north, it was the implied understanding that Mother Nature could send all the Nor’Easters, Snowmageddons and all that fun wintery crap with the agreement that I was never to deal with earthquakes or hurricanes ever again. Tropical storms – meh – they happen – but when both an earthquake and a hurricane impact Philadelphia within a week, I want the number of the fool here who irritated Mother Nature so badly she’s changing the scheme of the weather.
So – let’s jump to a few things that will make a gal happy, shall we?
1. If you looked in my shoe arsenal, you would see I have a penchant for booties – especially lace up heeled ones like these Sam Edelman Rowin booties that are new for Fall 2011. Plus – with the impending flood warnings for Manayunk, well, the name is appropriate as well… *sigh*
2. I’ve decided that since Mother Nature is so insistent on making the houses rattle and roll, that perhaps I should look into investing in new dinnerware for when this weather drama is over. I will never forget Colin Cowie’s advice to use the “good dishes” just because – as he had lost some favorite pieces in a earthquake years ago. I’m over the moon about this Camden dinnerware from Crate and Barrel and plan on getting mix and match pieces in all three shades!
3. Whenever I see a mini-baker, I always think of Single Serving’s Manouschka. This ruffled baker from Anthropologie is beyond adorable and it’s the perfect size for individual portions. Love the ruffle detailing and the coral shade.
4. I will be making good use of this lovely All Clad Deluxe Slow Cooker from Williams Sonoma while the wind and rain cause a ruckus outside. I don’t care if it’s still August, this gal will need to make some comfort food for the weekend and I think Pork Tinga or Short Ribs might be on the menu. I cannot say it enough – this slow cooker is one of my best culinary investments ever – next to my knives and my Le Creuset.
5. I already warned that this was going to be a “Canning in Stilettos” weekend – and I finally succumbed and added yet another canning book to my arsenal: The Art of Preserving from Williams-Sonoma. I plan on making the Mixed Berry Jam, Dijon Style Mustard and maybe another recipe if all goes well – the Chipotle Ketchup looks like a viable option or should I go with the Cinnamon Applesauce? Hmmmmm – decisions decisions.
East Coasters – stay safe out there – This Irene gal is not one to play nice in the sandbox. Hunker down and tell us what has you obsessed this weekend!
I don’t have to tell you how much I adore HSN and their culinary/entertaining tastemakers. Where else can you find Colin Cowie, Emeril, Todd English, Ingrid Hoffmann, Padma Lakshi and Wolfgang Puck with some seriously great goodies for your kitchen, table and pantry. Well, HSN is adding to the family, bringing on my absolute favorite chocolatier, Jacques Torres, those chic southern boys, The Lee Bros. and noted Chinese American chef, Ken Hom during their HSN Cooks Spring Weekend this weekend, March 26 – 27 and it’s presented by one of my fave foodie mags, Bon Appétit.
For women who enjoy cooking, the HSN Cooks Spring Weekend Event Presented by Bon Appétit is the ultimate kitchen and food shopping experience with celebrity chefs and culinary experts presenting high-quality kitchenware, time-saving appliances and tasty cuisine.
Pretty much this weekend you can expect some fabulous sales, value-packed bundles, new and best-selling items from some of their top brands like Wolfgang Puck, Emeril and Easy Exotic by Padma Lakshmi, great food products, tips and solutions from Bon Appétit Editor, Dede Wilson and, if you don’t have a subscription to Bon Appétit, you can get it at a really fabu price. Plus, if you are a Facebook fan, you can chat live with Padma (3/27 at 2 p.m. EST) and Wolfgang (3/27 at 3 p.m. EST). All you have to do is “like” HSN on Facebook to chat with them.
Now – just to tell you what a fabu place HSN is – they have offered Cooking In Stilettos’ readers a chance to win a $10 gift card that is good through the end of April.*
Here’s how to win that $10 gift card and the winner will be picked by Random.org on Tuesday, March 29, 2011. So, in the comments:
- Let us know what your fave item or chef is from the HSN Cooks! Event in the comments.
- “Like” HSN on Facebook and leave us another comment.
- “Like” Cooking In Stilettos on Facebook and leave another comment
- Follow Cooking In Stilettos on Twitter and, yes, leave another comment (it just makes it more simple and fair to choose).
- Finally, let’s make it 5 chances to win – sign up for the Cooking in Stilettos email that’s in the left column, let us know in a comment and there you go. Easy peasy!
Many thanks to HSN for sponsoring this giveaway and you can check out their promotional video. It’s going to be a great event!
*FTC Disclosure: HSN provided the giftcard to be given away.
Colin Cowie, Event Planner Extraordinaire, visited the Today Show last week with tips and tricks on transforming the holiday table and he has outdone himself again. Between his all white “Disco” table, the red and gold “Christmas Chic” and the teal and chartreuse “Peacock” table, I’m about to head out to ZGallerie, Crate & Barrel and Michaels. After all, your tree and house are chic and elegant so why shouldn’t your table be, right?
Can you believe the holidays are upon us? I don’t even know where this year went and already it’s the first week of December! As holiday entertaining is the focus, I decided to feature some fabulous products that will make your holiday entertaining have that *Wow* factor…
1. EVERY hostess needs a fabulous pair of booties and you must check out these Elizabeth and James Metal-Overlay Suede Ankle Boots. They have that 80s retro mesh but with such a modern look, they just scream edgy chic!
2. When I saw this Dual-Spigot Beverage Server with Metal Base from Colin Cowie that just launched for the holiday season, you would have thought I found a new pair of Loubous. Talk about love at first sight. I have gifted his beverage servers to friends and swear by them myself. To have one that serves TWO cocktails instead of one – now that is a MUST HAVE!
3. Holiday parties means breaking out platters and serving dishes. I’ve amassed quite a collection over the years but always love to find ones that have that za za zu factor. For a touch of whimsy, check out Williams-Sonoma’s Party Etiquette Platter – so festive & cute with the retro look!
4. One valuable lesson that I learned from Colin is that one MUST have votives everywhere while entertaining. Everyone looks amazing in candlelight, no? Well, rather than break the bank, check out this Jeweled-Glass Votive Candle Holder from Sur La Table. The colors for their holiday table collection will give your party that glamorous touch.
5. Finally, one holiday entertaining cookbook that must be in your collection is Williams-Sonoma Holiday Entertaining. Two words – Peppermint Mojito? Thought that would garner your attention.