Homemade Refried Black Beans are so easy to make and are the perfect side for taco night. Forget the canned version, these easy Refried Black Beans are packed with flavor!
This post may contain affiliate links to products I adore and trust in my kitchen. Thank you for supporting Cooking In Stilettos.
Whenever I’m serving tacos, I often keep refried black beans in the pantry. They are perfect as a delicious side, as a must have ingredient in 7 layer dip or as the main ingredient in a veggie taco loaded with fresh toppings and cheese. As I’m trying to make more items from scratch this year, homemade refried beans was one of those recipes I wanted to try to make. I love Ellie Krieger’s healthy recipes and her refried beans recipe was a great starting point for me to play with making my own easy refried beans from scratch.
These Refried Black Beans come together with just a few ingredients. While the beans themselves are indeed canned and a shortcut, the rest of the recipe components you probably already have on hand. What’s great about these is you can customize the spice profile to your liking. I tend to like the sweet heat of ancho chile pepper in lieu of cayenne and was able to add a dash of smoked paprika which added a hint of smoky flavor. I’m also watching my sodium lately so I find that I am able to reduce the sodium by using low sodium black beans and vegetable stock. I also love how you can customize the texture. As I prefer it a bit more rustic, I left some beans whole while mashing the others. This recipe comes together in a flash and tastes way better than any canned refried beans, imo.
A bit of minced cilantro or parsley over top and your family and friends will think you are a culinary whiz when you told them you made these Refried Black Beans from (almost) scratch. Just don’t tell them how easy it is *wink*
On to the recipe:
Gather your ingredients
Toasting the spices
Let’s add the rinsed black beans
Time for a little veggie stock
The perfect side
Aly M. Cleary | Adapted from Ellie Krieger
These Refried Black Beans are so easy to make in about 15 minutes and are packed with flavor. One bite and you will never buy canned refried beans again.
5 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
15 minTotal Time
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- 1 cup of diced sweet onion
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon of ancho chile pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1 15-ounce can of black beans (preferably low sodium)
- 2/3 cup of vegetable stock (preferably low sodium)
- 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly cracked black pepper
- Zest and juice of half a lime
- 2 teaspoons of fresh cilantro or flat leaf parsley, minced
- In a nonstick pan over medium heat, heat the olive oil.
- Add the diced sweet onion and saute for a few minutes until soft.
- Add the minced garlic and saute for another minute more.
- To the onion mixture, add the ancho chile pepper, cumin, smoked paprika. Toast the spices for a minute or so until fragrant.
- Add the black beans and toss the beans with the spiced onion mixture.
- Add the vegetable stock and simmer for 5 - 7 minutes until the bean are warmed through.
- Season with the salt and pepper and mash the beans until they are the consistency you want.
- Add the lime zest and juice and add a bit of cilantro or flat leaf parsley.
You May Also Like
Share the love
Get free updates