As some might have noticed yesterday, I decided to treat Cooking In Stilettos to a new “dress” and, while it might not fit just yet, I just need to tweak and tailor it a bit. One of these days Cooking In Stilettos will have a haute couture theme of its very own, but while Momma is trying to pay the vet and car bills, the blog will have to be content with “off the rack”.
Speaking of bills, my car decided that it needed something of it’s very own too – a shiny new fuel pump and, while we’re at it, let’s throw in a tune-up and oil change too. Let’s just say, ladies, investing in AAA is a wise choice. My car crapped out late one night at the 9to9 and the tow guys had to PUSH the car down 3 levels to get it out to the truck – in horrible heat no less. Thankfully, AAA covered that puppy but man – not what I expected at all. Any retail therapy was curtailed a bit after I got the mechanic’s bill but they said nothing about any virtual shopping. So, with that, let’s head into a little Fab Friday action, shall we.
1. This heatwave from Hades continues here in Philly and I’m praying for an early fall. I know I know – shoot me. One positive of fall, I get to wear some rockin’ boots and heels now that I’m not Cooking In Sneakers any longer. One pair of ankle boots that made me lose my breath are these Manolo Blahnik Flannel and Leather Lace-Up Oxford Ankle Boots. I adore flannel pumps and boots for fall and these are stunning!
2. So, while I was in Williams-Sonoma last night picking up a couple odds and ends for the pantry, I found out that they are having a killer electrics sale this weekend – 20% off of mostly everything, including KitchenAid. Now, while I do have my new lovely mixer already, the attachments were whispering from the shelves to take them home. I’m debating it at the moment as I do want the Pasta Attachments, including the ravioli one. They also have a grain mill attachment, citrus juicer attachment and even a meat grinder.
3. One of my favorite gadgets that I use often is this Automatic Yogurt Maker and, added bonus, it doesn’t heat up the kitchen in the summer months. I love to top freshly made yogurt with a bit of jam, including my fave Strawberry or Mixed Berry Jam.
4. I was so stoked to find out that Jaden from Steamy Kitchen had her own cast iron wok and rice bran oil out now! I ordered both of those lovelies and they are on their way to me ASAP. My cabinet better behave and welcome the new additions properly because while I have cookware of all shapes and sizes, I was lacking a wok. I adore steamed dumplings and it will be nice to make them properly instead of my hatchet attempts which always result in speed dialing takeout to have them delivered. (And, sidenote, how bad is it that the delivery guys see me, hand me the slip to sign and call for the SousPug BY NAME for a visit. That SousPug – always gets the love)
5. Whole Foods is having a HUGE sale on Cherries today in Plymouth Meeting. We’re talking $1.99 a pound so this gal will be getting a few pounds for various jams, desserts and a little freezer action. One thing that helps, this Oxo Cherry Pitter that I use every summer. Well worth the small investment.
6. Confession: my counters are a hot mess and, one of my goals for this summer is to get everything in order – from my pantry to my spice cabinet to the countertops. One of my biggest space suckers is my plethora of cutting boards that I keep on the counter next to my copper wine fridge. Now – the wine fridge is going to be evicted as well – perhaps to the home office (it might be good for mid-day libations, right?) but I had no clue what to do with the cutting boards to make them look attractive. I got a dose of inspiration this week – kinda like a lightbulb moment. I remembered that on the Barefoot Contessa’s old set, she had a basket of cutting boards and baking sheets at the end of her kitchen island and, well, with this Galang Magazine Basket that I found at Crate and Barrel, I was able to store a ton of them away and reclaim a good 3″ of space. Hey, every inch counts, right? Many thanks to the girls at the King of Prussia Crate and Barrel for indulging my crazy last night as I spirited around the store looking for the one lone basket that was in hiding in a display in the back corner of the 2nd floor. (Plus – I got the scoop on the fall finds for C&B – wait til you hear…)
7. I am so excited to be taking Food In Jars’ canning class this weekend (Cross one off of my 2012 Culinary Goals please!) and, in my flurry of Canning In Stilettos excitement, I picked up The Preservation Kitchen: The Craft of Making and Cooking with Pickles, Preserves, and Aigre-doux. I can’t wait to see what culinary experiments I can whip up this canning season.
What’s on your agenda this weekend? KitchenAid lovers, do y’all have any attachments for your KitchenAid Mixer and, if so, which ones? I’d love to hear your experiences!
[FTC Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. However, as always, my opinions are 100% my own]
Share the love
Get free updates