My DVR has been so backed up that it makes the Jersey Turnpike look like smooth sailing. However, I caught an ep of Mexican Made Easy and Marcela Valladolid had this recipe for Mexican Chocolate Banana Muffins that caught my eye. Thankfully, I had all the ingredients in my pantry – or so I thought. Sadly, when I went to the pantry to grab the mexican chocolate, I saw that it had expired the month before. Dangnabbit! However, my brain went into overdrive and I did a little “Faux” action and was quite pleased with the end result.
My suggestion – always check your pantry ingredients BEFORE starting to make the recipe. Thankfully – the Mexican chocolate has been restocked for a future recipe go-round.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups mashed bananas (either 2 large or 3 small bananas)
- 1 large egg
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup milk [While the recipe called for whole milk, I used 2% and it came out fine]
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a muffin tin with paper muffin cups and set aside.
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the mashed bananas, egg, melted butter, milk, cinnamon, vanilla extract, almond extract, and cayenne pepper until incorporated.
- Stir the banana mixture into the dry ingredients just until blended (do not over-mix). Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups, filling each about 3/4 full.
- Bake the muffins for about 30 minutes. The muffins should be golden on top and a tester should come out clean (except some melted chocolate - that's perfectly fine).
- Let the muffins cool for about 15 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.
Adapted from Marcela Valladolid
Gather the Ingredients
I won’t tell if you delve into the batter a bit
Time to cool it down…
You may also like -
Share the love
Get free updates