I adore a good cookbook. I always seem to have one at the ready to peruse, gain some culinary inspiration, learn some tips and tricks and adore the pretty pictures contained within its pages. Back Around the Table: An “In the Kitchen with David” Cookbook from QVC’s resident foodie, David Venable, has been on my “must get” list since I heard about it. I have his first cookbook and adore it so I knew his second would be just as great if not better!
David Venable is a staple at QVC. So many of my favorite chefs and bloggers have appeared on his show, In The Kitchen With David®. You know their recipes are “that good” when David does his “happy dance.” His enthusiasm for good food, good times and good friends is infectious. His recipes are tried and true and are comforting for everyday or chic enough for a soiree.
Back Around the Table has been leafed through to death and there are so many recipes I have on my “must make” list this winter – like David’s Skinny Chicken, S’mores Martinis, Smoked Gouda, Bacon and Pea Risotto, Italian Wedding Casserole and his Pina Colada Muffins. This is one cookbook you will want under your holiday tree and, if you are looking for that perfect gift for a favorite home cook – why not get them a copy.
When it came to which recipe to try first, it was a no-brainer. Who doesn’t love Mac and Cheese, right? I’ll confess – I have a box or two in the pantry “for emergencies.” It’s not something I’m proud of but after a long day at the 9to9, there are days I want to curl up on the couch with a bowl of cheesy goodness and don’t want to have anything that takes more than 20 minutes to make. So – when I saw this recipe for Five Cheese Fifteen Minute Stovetop Mac and Cheese, I knew I found nirvana.
The main key to hit that 15-minute mark with this Stovetop Mac and Cheese – have everything shredded and at the ready. When that flour and butter start to meld, you don’t have much time. I had my mise en place ready and lined up on the cutting board next to the stove so it went together like a perfectly choreographed symphony. I did make a couple minor changes – but his recipe is definitely forgiving and allows for substitution. While his recipe called for yellow extra-sharp cheddar, I couldn’t locate that at all so I went with a tried and true seriously sharp white cheddar that I love. I also couldn’t find a smoked Gouda so I went with a standard gouda. Also, with any cream sauce, I’ve learned there’s power in a small amount of freshly grated nutmeg so I added that.
This Five Cheese Fifteen Minute Stovetop Mac and Cheese is a tried and true and, while it is a wee bit indulgent, I have to say every single bite is worth it! The flavor is outstanding and it’s perfect for those days when only a gooey and cheesy mac and cheese will do!
On to the recipe:
My must have addition – a pinch of nutmeg
Look at all of that cheese
Doesn’t curling up with a bowl of this on a cold winter’s night sound perfect?
[i]David Venable from [Back Around the Table: An “In the Kitchen with David” Cookbook|http://qvc.co/AroundtheTableCookbook" target="_blank][/i]
Rich, gooey and cheesy, this Five Cheese Fifteen Minute Stovetop Mac and Cheese from David Venable's latest cookbook, Back Around the Table: An “In the Kitchen with David” Cookbook, will have you do a happy dance.
10 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of dry mustard
- 2 cups of heavy cream, warmed
- 1/8 teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg (optional – my addition)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) of shredded smoked Gouda (I used regular Gouda)
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) of shredded Gruyère
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) of shredded Asiago
- 1 cup (4 ounces) of shredded yellow extra-sharp Cheddar (I used white)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) of shredded white sharp Cheddar
- 1 pound of gemelli or other pasta twists, cooked (I used fusilli)
- 1/2 cup of sour cream
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of white pepper
- Cooked bacon or sliced green onion for garnish.
- In a Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat.
- When the butter is melted, stir in the flour and mustard and whisk for a couple minutes while it forms a bit of a thick paste.
- Whisk in the warmed cream and bring the mixture to a simmer, whisking constantly until it starts to thicken.
- Add the freshly grated nutmeg and cook for a few minutes more.
- Add the Gouda, Gruyere, Asiago, extra sharp Cheddar and Sharp Cheddar and whisk until the mixture becomes a thick and luscious cheese sauce.
- Add the cooked pasta and fold into the cheese sauce until the pasta is coated thoroughly.
- Add the sour cream, salt and white pepper and stir in, cooking for about 2 – 3 minutes while making sure that all of the ingredients are combined.
- Serve while hot, garnished with a bit of cooked bacon or sliced green onion.
Recipe Reprinted With Permission
If you think your family will enjoy this recipe, be sure to visit qvc.co/AroundtheTableCookbook to learn more about and purchase Back Around the Table: An “In the Kitchen with David” Cookbook. Filled with 156 great recipes like this, you’re sure to find something that fits your lifestyle and gathers everyone back around the table!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of QVC. The opinions and text are all mine.
You may also like -
Share the love
Get free updates