Forget those store-bought packets – this Homemade Taco Seasoning is so easy to make from scratch with spices straight from your pantry!
Disclosure: This recipe originally appeared on Cooking In Stilettos in August of 2013. The recipe has been updated with new photos and any recipe changes that I have incorporated over the years. This post may contain affiliate links to products I trust and adore in my kitchen.
Over the past couple of years, I’ve been shunning many of the pre-made spice packets that I relied on when I first learned to cook and started to make my own. I always have Adobo Seasoning in the pantry and, every fall, I make a fresh batch of homemade poultry seasoning.
This Homemade Taco Seasoning is so easy to make and you can customize it to your heat level. I based it off of a recipe from AllRecipes and went to town with the spices I already had in my spice cabinet including one of my new faves – ancho chili powder. Remember – I’m a heat wimp so I tend to err on the side of mild but you can always bump it up. Also – you can double or quadruple this recipe – depends on how often you have a taco craving.
I tend to use 2 1/2 teaspoons for a pound of meat and mix it with a bit of water. To make it thicker, you can add a bit of cornstarch or flour to the meat mixture. All in all – it’s so simple you will not buy that packet at the market again which leaves you with more money for the Choo fund. Win win in my book.
For your next Taco Tuesday – make a batch of this Homemade Taco Seasoning!
Onto the recipe:
Gather the ingredients
Let’s measure out the spices
Now – wouldn’t you rather keep this in your pantry?
Homemade Taco Seasoning
This Homemade Taco Seasoning is so easy to make with ingredients you already have in your pantry – so much better than that taco seasoning packet in the store.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 8
- Category: Spices and Seasoning
- Cuisine: American
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of dried oregano (I used Mexican oregano)
- 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon of ancho chili powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly cracked black pepper
- Mix together the chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, smoked paprika, cumin, red pepper flakes (or cayenne pepper), ancho chili powder, salt and ground pepper.
- Store in an airtight container and it should keep fresh for about a year or so (if it lasts that long.)
Note: 3 tablespoons of this seasoning is about 1 packet
My favorite finds for this recipe:
Other Delicious Recipes
Share the love
Get free updates