This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #FallWithATwist #CollectiveBias
With Thanksgiving right around the corner, the chill setting in (along with the chilly rain blanketing the Philly region right now), there’s nothing that I want more is a comforting bite for dinner that is quick, easy and super flavorful. This Meatless Loco Moco comes together zippy quick and your family will never know that it’s essentially veggie cuisine.
One of my favorite meatless options is MorningStar Farms Spicy Black Bean Veggie Burgers. I fell hard for them way back in my Orlando days and not only are they packed with flavor but they are a delicious option for a quick dinner. They are a perfect option for both vegetarians and meat lovers and can be used in a variety of ways. I also keep the MorningStar Farms Grillers Crumbles on hand for biscuits and gravy, pasta sauce and breakfast casseroles.
I was stocking up on some of my favorite MorningStar Farms favorites in the freezer section at my local Target when I had the craving for a comforting dish of loco moco. For those that aren’t familiar with this Hawaiian classic, essentially, it’s a hamburger patty on fluffy rice topped with a sunny side egg and drenched in a rich brown gravy. I knew I could make a meatless loco moco with Morningstar Farms Spicy Black Bean Veggie Burgers and instead of a rich beefy brown gravy, I would make a savory onion gravy with vegetable stock, lots of onion and tons of savory flavor. Add to that a runny yolk from the sunny side egg and you have a dinner (or breakfast) that is on the table in about 20 minutes.
When you are craving a comforting bite, make this Meatless Loco Moco with Savory Onion Gravy. One bite and this might be your new family favorite!
On to the recipe:
Gather your ingredients
One of my freezer staples – Morningstar Spicy Black Bean Veggie Burgers
Let’s make the Savory Onion Gravy – so easy!
Let’s get some color on these veggie burgers
Followed by some sunny side up eggs
I think we are going to need some more gravy
Meatless Loco Moco with Savory Onion Gravy
Aly M. Cleary
This Meatless Loco Moco is packed with flavor. A spicy black bean veggie burger is nestled on a bed of rice and topped with a sunny side up egg and doused with savory onion gravy!
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 3 tablespoons of finely diced sweet onion
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons of all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups of vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- Salt (if needed)
- 4 MorningStar Farms Spicy Black Bean Veggie Burgers
- 4 large eggs
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of Aleppo pepper (optional)
- White rice for serving
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium high heat.
- Add the finely diced sweet onion and sauté for about 5 minutes, until golden.
- Add the minced garlic and sauté for a minute more.
- To the onion mixture, add the flour and whisk a bit so that the flour is cooked for a minute or so.
- Add the soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce to the vegetable stock and stir.
- Whisk in the stock mixture to the onions in a slow steady stream so that there are no lumps.
- Simmer over medium low until the mixture has thickened.
- Keep warm.
- Thaw the MorningStar Spicy Veggie Black Bean Burgers according to package directions.
- In a large nonstick stick pan, brown the burgers over medium heat for about 6 – 7 minutes, flipping occasionally. Set aside.
- To the same skillet, add a teaspoon of vegetable oil.
- Using a ramekin, pour each of the eggs into the skillet.
- Season the eggs with the salt, pepper and Aleppo pepper, if using.
- Add a touch of water to the pan and cover so that the eggs cook through.
- Add a large scoop of white rice to the plate. Top the rice with one of the Spicy Veggie Black Bean Burgers. Add the egg and smother in the Savory Onion Gravy.
You may also like -
Share the love
Get free updates