My love affair with tequila started years ago when I would hang out at Annies, our weekend spot in W. Mass. One of my friends, Albee, took me under his wing to teach me about tequila. I made the common mistake of ordering Albee’s brand of choice, Jose Cuervo with the lemon & salt. Albee looked at me with a face of shock and disbelief and quickly taught me that the proper way to enjoy Cuervo is to take it straight. Now when the craving for tequila hits, I prefer a good shot of Cuervo straight. I never really got into the Patron hype.
I discovered the Partida Tequila brand of tequila by chance and received some lovely samples to test drive. Can I say, while I adore Cuervo, my new tequila of choice is Partida Tequila. If you are a tequila fan like this gal here and are sick of the Patron overload, check out Partida Tequila Brand. It is out of this world. I paired up my new favorite tequila with a bit of Mexican spice for the perfect Mexican Hot Chocolate, using inspiration from a Tyler Florence recipe. Try this next time you are looking for something hot and steamy to warm you up.
- 3 ounces (tablet or cone) Mexican chocolate or bittersweet chocolate
- 3 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon (if you are not using Mexican chocolate)
- Tequila (to taste) [I used Partida Tequila Blanco]
- Pinch salt
- Whipped Cream
- Cinnamon Sticks For Serving/Stirring
- Break up the chocolate into smaller pieces using a sharp knife.
- In a saucepan, combine the chopped chocolate, milk, sugar, and salt over medium-low flame.
- Heat and stir until the chocolate is completely melted and milk is very hot, but not boiling, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and froth the chocolate milk with a mini whisk or molinillo.
- Pour into mugs.
- Add tequila to taste (heavy hand is not always best here) and stir.
- Add a dollop of whipped cream and garnish with a cinnamon stick.
Adapted from Tyler Florence
First Up, Select Your Tequila of Choice. I chose the Partida Tequila Blanco for this recipe
Gather Your Ingredients
This small disk of chocolate is not for snacking but for cooking.
Chop the Chocolate Into Smaller Pieces
Add the Milk
Let the hot chocolate simmer away happily
This is the molinillo but you can use a wisk too.
Time to add the Tequila
The Final Result – Cocktail Hour Has Commenced
*FTC Disclaimer: Tequila Samples were provided by representative.
Share the love
Get free updates