It’s the beginning of February, there’s snow on the ground here in Philly and this gal needs some rays of sunshine to brighten the day. What better way to spark up the day but with a Secret Recipe Club reveal and some sweet and tart Meyer Lemon Cranberry Bread.
This month’s Secret Recipe Club assignment was Lisa from Sweet as Sugar Cookies. I was really happy to get Lisa’s blog as I love her outlook – bright, sunny and a great disposition, much like her Lemon Cranberry Bread. She’s also fearless in the kitchen – a great trait for any SRC member, right? Lisa also had some other fantastic recipes that I have bookmarked to try – her Shoyu Chicken (that I’m determined to find out if it’s like my friends’ mother’s top secret chicken recipe), her Pumpkin Chai Donut Muffins (don’t judge – we can have pumpkin year round!) and her No Fuss Focaccia.
I have a bit of a Meyer lemon confession – when I see them int the grocery store, I can’t resist getting some. It’s like arugula – I always keep some on hand. I don’t know why but if I have to choose between a regular lemon and a Meyer lemon, I always go with the Meyer.
This recipe made me a VERY happy girl – I always have cranberries in the freezer and with the Meyer lemons in the fridge, I was able to whip this up in no time. The batter is dense so don’t be alarmed. Plus, with Meyer lemons taking center stage, I decided to play with it and use my new lemon loaf baking pan so it looked as fabulous as it tasted. This Meyer lemon cranberry bread is moist, fabulous and full of sweet and tart flavor. The kicker is the lemon sugar – that was huge and I think I need to make a batch for the pantry. I also added a touch of vanilla to the batter for added sweetness and it added the right note of flavor to it. All and all, this was another Secret Recipe Club winner.
A slice of this bread with some coffee and you have a bright start to the morning. Thank you again Lisa and Secret Recipe for the perfect way to start February!
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons of zest from Meyer Lemons (about 2-3 small Meyer lemons)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of kosher salt
- ¾ to 1 cup of freshly squeezed Meyer lemon juice (I was closer to 1 cup – I love that lemon flavor!) (about 6 or so small to medium Meyer lemons)
- 3 tablespoons of canola oil
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups of frozen unthawed cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Lightly spray a 9x5 loaf pan with baking spray or lightly grease and flour the pan.
- To the sugar, add the Meyer lemon zest and mix together until it is moistened and fragrant.
- In a large bowl, combine the lemon sugar, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- In a small bowl or large measuring cup, combine the Meyer lemon juice, oil, vanilla and egg.
- Add the lemon juice mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Gently fold in the cranberries and pour the batter into the loaf pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes or so until a tester inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean and the loaf is gently pulling away from the sides of the pan.
- Cool for 15 minutes or so on a rack and then remove from pan and cool completely.
- Slice and enjoy!
Do you ever cook with Meyer lemons? What’s your fave Meyer lemon recipe?
[Note: I will be updating later with more pics – we’re having a bit of a technical difficulty Monday around here. So sorry :(]
Share the love
Get free updates