I have mentioned a “couple” of times that pancakes and I don’t have such a harmonious relationship due to a bad childhood experience but sometimes a recipe just looks so fab that I’m inspired to give it another try. Thankfully, this recipe for Cheesecakelets from Nigella Lawson is so good that it another of my favorite brunch recipes that I whip up when I have people at the house or, sometimes when I just want to indulge. The strawberries and the balsamic are so perfect and compliment the cheesecakelets perfectly. So, when you want to wow the family with something a little different, give this a try – and be prepared to be showered with compliments.
- 2 cups strawberries, quartered
- ½ teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ to 1 teaspoon super fine sugar
- 3 eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- Put the strawberries into a bowl and sprinkle with balsamic vinegar and sugar. Stir and cover with plastic wrap and set aside to macerate.
- In a large bowl, mix the egg yolks with the sugar, beating well.
- Add the vanilla, cottage cheese, and flour. The mixture will be a bit lumpy.
- In another bowl, whisk the whites until they are frothy.
- Fold the whipped egg whites into the cottage cheese mixture, being careful not to deflate the egg whites.
- Over medium heat, preheat a griddle or nonstick skillet.
- Pour the batter onto the hot griddle, making each cheesecakelet about 3 to 4 inches in diameter.
- Once bubbles start forming and it is starting to get firm, flip each cheesecakelet and cook the other side.
- When the cheesecakes are ready, remove them from the heat to a warmed plate and set aside while you prepare the strawberries.
- Remove the plastic wrap from the macerated strawberries and stir, squishing some with a fork to make a syrup.
- Serve the balsamic strawberries over the cheesecakelets and enjoy!
Gather Your Ingredients
Let the strawberries rest to make their rich red syrup
Mixing the cottage cheese, egg yolks, sugar and “good” vanilla
Serve and enjoy!
You may also like -
Share the love
Get free updates