If you tried to do Nigella Lawson’s Coca Cola Ham over the holiday and are stompin’ your stilettos wondering what to do with the leftovers, well look no further – Nigella Lawson has the solution – her soul soothing Cuban Black Bean Soup.
This soup is so good that I’m contemplating roasting another ham – but this time without all the burns and drama of trying to get the ham out of the stock. Who needs a holiday to serve something so delish, right?
- 1 pound black beans
- 5 cups water
- 5 cups "Coca Cola Stock" from Ham in Coca Cola (or chicken stock if you don’t have the coca cola stock)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon of Aleppo chili (optional)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Zest & juice of 1 medium lime
- 2 cups of cooked ham, diced
- Sour Cream for serving
- Place beans and water in a soup pot; cover and simmer about 45 minutes
- Add the coca cola (or chicken) stock and simmer till beans are tender, about an hour.
- Take 2 cups of the bean mixture and add to a food processor.
- Add the cumin, Aleppo chili, ground coriander, lime zest and juice to the bean mixture and puree until smooth.
- Pour the pureed bean mixture into the pot. Dip out about 2 cups of bean mixture and run it through a blender or food processor to puree it; then put it back into the pot.
- Add the 2 cups of diced ham.
- Simmer about 20 minutes.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and enjoy.
Slightly adapted from Nigella Lawson
Gather the Ingredients
The inky black goodness boils and bubbles
Ahhhhh – I love my new toy!
Time to puree
The finished product.
[FTC Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. My opinions, as always, are 100% my own]
You may also like -
Share the love
Get free updates