This weekend saw a plethora of baking in this household. On the agenda, Pumpkin Seed Cherry Trail Mix, Mexican Chocolate Cookies, pumpkin harvest bread, Captain Morgan Chocolate Chip Cookies and, the piece de resistance, Oatmeal Cherry Chocolate Chunk Cookies. This was adapted from a recent recipe of Giada de Laurentiis. I like cranberries as much as the next person but since I recently stocked up on dried cherries, I figured I’d do a little switcharoo. And, just to add a nice touch, I decided to soak the cherries in a bit of DiSaronno for a touch of holiday goodness. These cookies are just perfect to leave for Santa – and, forget the milk. I’m guessing that the jolly ol’ man might enjoy a nice cocktail instead.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg (room temperature)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup dried cherries that have been soaked in 2 tablespoons of DiSaronno Amaretto
- 1 (4-ounce) 60 percent cacao bittersweet chocolate bar, chopped into chunks
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line 2 large baking sheets with either a silpat or parchment paper and set to the side.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In a stand mixer, mix the butter, brown and granulated sugar with a paddle attachment for about a minute. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the flour mixture. When the dough starts to form, add the oats, chocolate and the soaked cherries with the residual amaretto until it’s incorporated.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop the dough onto the baking sheets and use the back of the scoop to flatten the dough balls.
- Bake for about 13 to 15 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool on a cooling rack for about half an hour and enjoy.
Recipe adapted from Giada de Laurentiis
Gather your ingredients
Ahhhh – amaretto, cherries and chocolate – holiday goodness
The final product – soooo good.
Share the love
Get free updates