With this month’s Leftover Club assignment, I was thrilled to be paired up with our fearless leader, Elizabeth from Food Ramblings so I knew that I had to whip up something stellar. It had to be something that traveled well and actually would be something that my household might not want to part with. See – every month when I whip up something, I always say “Sorry – I need to send it to XYZ – it’s Leftover Club time” and while I get the protests, I know that I won’t have temptation around the house and these cookies – these cookies are my kryptonite.
Whenever the holidays come around, I often get asked to make my Captain Morgan Chocolate Chip Cookies. I always make a batch “wit” and “without” (slight Philly reference) but this batch – this batch was special. Lately, the Captain has been pushed aside for Cruzan and these cookies needed a bit of a recipe redo. These cookies are a bit lighter based on a Cooking Light recipe and have this delicious spiced rum flavor throughout. Don’t get me wrong, you can of course use Captain or your favorite spiced rum or you can just leave out the rum if you want to go for a lighter chocolate chip cookies. The flavor actually trumps my prior version so I think going forward, it will be these cookies that I will be baking for family and friends. Elizabeth just got the first batch and I was so honored to share. Now I get to share the recipe with you.
On to the recipe:
Gather Your Ingredients
Is there anything better than Cookie Dough?
Oh – wait – yup – a double basting with some spiced rum
Fresh and warm out of the oven
Try to have only one… I dare you
Adapted from Cooking Light
These take chocolate chip cookies to new heights - crisp and chewy with spiced rum flavor in every bite. Now - how bad can that be?
20 minPrep Time
13 minCook Time
33 minTotal Time
- 1/2 cup of butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cup of packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 – 2 tablespoons of spiced rum (I used Cruzan)
- 1 cup of semisweet chocolate chips
- Extra spiced rum for basting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixer, cream together the butter and sugars until fully combined and fluffy.
- While the mixer is working on the butter and sugar mixture, in a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- To the butter and sugar mixture, add the egg whites. Mix thoroughly.
- Add the vanilla extract and the rum.
- When everything is fully mixed, add the flour mixture. Do not over mix.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Using a small scoop or tablespoon, add the dough in rounded tablespoons to a cookie sheet fitted with a silpat or sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Using a basting brush, lightly brush the cookie dough with a bit of the spiced rum.
- Bake for about 10 – 11 minutes until lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and let set on the baking sheet for about 2 – 3 minutes.
- Remove to a cooling rack and cool thoroughly.
Not a member of The Leftovers Club – why not join us. It’s an awesome community and I can’t speak highly enough about it!
Other Delicious Recipes
Share the love
Get free updates