In a continuation of my love letter to that fabulous recipe Rick Bayless which has me completely enamored, Mojo De Ajo, he came up with a great salmon recipe for the grill that he spotlighted on a recent Rachael Ray episode (shush – do. not. judge!). Over the holiday weekend, I played with the recipe a bit and have put in my tried & true arsenal. Best thing besides the flavors that pop due to the liquid gold aka mojo de ajo – the fact that these Mojo de Ajo Salmon Pockets are all cooked in foil and on the grill – saving me from turning my house into a sauna during this heat wave from Hades that Philly is dealing with. This dish was so easy and elegant and is perfect for a dinner party, grill style
- 2 6 oz. salmon filets, skin removed
- 4 Yukon gold potatoes, sliced into thick rounds
- 4 tbsp. (roughly) of mojo de ajo (or slow roasted garlic in oil)
- 2 spring onions, ends & tips trimmed
- 2-4 sprigs of thyme
- Freshly cracked pepper
- Aluminum foil
- Preheat the grill to medium high/high setting.
- Precook the Yukon potato rounds for 30 minutes in boiling water that has been salted liberally.
- On a foil portion, roughly 8 x 10, place a bit of the mojo de ajo in the center.
- Lay 3 – 4 of the potato rounds in a straight line over the mojo de ajo.
- Drizzle some more of the mojo de ajo over the potato rounds.
- Lay the spring onion over the potatoes.
- Lay the salmon over the potato and onion mixture and season with salt & pepper.
- Drizzle more of the mojo de ajo over the salmon and garnish with 1 – 2 springs of thyme (or, if thyme isn't your favorite, why not try a sprig of rosemary or some cilantro or flat leaf Italian parsley).
- Seal the foil packets, rolling the top of the foil down and folding the sides inward.
- Place on the grill for 10 min. or so, until the fish is cooked through and flakes easy.
- Open the packets, plate and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Rick Bayless
Gather Your Ingredients
Layer the Potatoes over the Mojo and follow with more Mojo – how can that be bad?
Layering the onions…
And the fish – see the pattern.
Packages Ready For The Grill
Voila – elegant AND easy!
You may also like -
Share the love
Get free updates