For your next brunch or when you want breakfast for dinner, make this scrumptious Savory Oatmeal with Bacon, Spinach and Blistered Tomatoes
I have a recipe that is perfection for those that love breakfast for dinner – a Savory Oatmeal with Bacon, Spinach and Blistered Tomatoes.
Now – before you give me that side-eye, hear me out. Do you like grits – like cheese grits? What about polenta?
This recipe is a riff on that with a savory oatmeal flavored with thyme and Parmesan cheese and simmered in veggie stock. Easy peasy. I was inspired by some savory oatmeal recipes from Shape Magazine and decided to play. A splash of heavy cream adds a bit of richness and to add even more flavor, I wanted to add some accoutrements like, what else, BACON!
Well, it IS #BaconMonth after all so I had to add even a little more bacon love to this bowl. Now – if you are vegetarian, you can clearly leave the bacon out because the spinach, blistered tomatoes and mushrooms add a ton of flavor to the dish. However, when you stir everything together, you have a steaming bowl of comfort that will have you wondering why you don’t have savory oatmeal more often.
When you want to serve up a comforting dish with a bit of a chic twist, whisk up this Savory Oatmeal with Bacon, Spinach and Blistered Tomatoes.
On to the recipe:
Gather your ingredients
Let’s crisp up some bacon
Simmering the oats with stock, thyme and Parmesan rind
Adding a bit of a cheese
Look at how quickly the spinach wilts
Look at the colors – so pretty!
Shall I get you a spoon?
Aly M. Cleary
This Savory Oatmeal with Bacon, Spinach and Blistered Tomatoes is a savory way to start the day or delicious for dinner.
5 minPrep Time
35 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 5 slices of thick cut bacon
- 3 cups of vegetable stock, divided
- 2 cups of old fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup of heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons of fresh thyme
- 1 Parmesan rind (optional)
- 1/3 cup of Parmesan cheese
- 4 teaspoons of olive oil, divided
- 1 6-ounce container of baby bella mushrooms
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 6 ounces of baby spinach
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons of fresh flat leaf parsley, minced
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- On a baking sheet lined with foil and with a rack, place the bacon, leaving space between each thick cut slice.
- Bake for about 20 minutes.
- Remove to a paper lined plate and set aside.
- In a heavy bottomed dutch oven, bring 2 3/4 cups of vegetable stock to a boil.
- Add the old-fashioned oats, heavy cream, fresh thyme and Parmesan rind.
- Stir to combine, reduce the heat to a simmer and cover.
- Cook for about 25 – 30 minutes until the oats are creamy.
- Add the Parmesan cheese and if you find that the oats are still too thick, feel free to add some more vegetable stock or water, a quarter cup at a time until you reach the desired consistency. Keep warm.
- While you are making the oatmeal, heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a nonstick pan or braiser over medium high heat.
- Add the baby bella mushrooms, taking care to not crowd the mushrooms. If you have to do it in 2 batches, use another teaspoon of olive oil to the pan and sauté the second batch of mushrooms until browned.
- Heat another teaspoon of olive oil in the same braiser or nonstick pan over medium high heat.
- Add the diced onions and sauté for about 3 – 4 minutes, until they start to get translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the red pepper flakes and spinach and sauté until the spinach has wilted. Remove to a bowl and set aside.
- Heat the final teaspoon of olive oil over medium high heat and add the grape tomatoes.
- Cook until the tomatoes start to char and burst.
- Remove to another small bowl
- Portion some of the savory oatmeal into each bowl.
- Chop the bacon into small pieces and add some of the crisp bacon to each bowl.
- Add some of the sautéed spinach mixture followed by some of the blistered tomatoes and finally the sautéed mushrooms.
- Garnish with a bit of flat leaf parsley and enjoy!
Let’s see what everyone brought for the #BaconMonth giveaway. Check out these delicious recipes and for all the scoop on #BaconMonth, be sure to check out this post and enter to win some amazing prizes!
Bacon & Egg Puffs from It Is A Keeper
Bacon Scalloped Potatoes from Kleinworth & Co.
Savory Oatmeal with Bacon, Spinach and Blistered Tomatoes from Cooking in Stilettos
Beer Bacon and Cheese Dip Recipe from Bread Booze Bacon
Sriracha Bacon Lobster Rolls from Nomageddon
Sticky Bacon and Salmon Kebabs from Hey Grill, Hey
Cheddar Bacon Ranch Pull-Apart Rolls from Love Bakes Good Cakes
Bacon Pasta Salad with Avocado Crema Sauce from A Simple Pantry
Peanut Butter, Banana & Bacon Muffins from Forking Up
Other Delicious Recipes
Share the love
Get free updates