This is a sponsored post. All opinions are my own
- 1 pound of dry red kidney beans
- 2 quarts water (aka 8 cups)
- 1 large yellow onion, cut in eighths
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 3/4 cup of medium amber pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup of light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/2 cup of ketchup
- 1 tablespoon of Chinese chili paste
- 1 tablespoon of spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon of molasses
- 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon of grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, pour the kidney beans and then cover with cold water by 1 inch. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, drain and rinse the beans and drain again. Make sure that there are no stones.
- In a large pot, pour in the beans and 2 quarts (8 cups) of water. Add the onions, bay leaf and peppercorns and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- When the beans start to boil, reduce the heat and let them simmer for 50 - 60 minutes.
- Test the beans for tenderness by seeing if their skins will start to peel by either lightly rubbing on them or blowing on them. Drain the beans and reserve the cooking liquid.
- Add the beans to the slow cooker with the bay leaf and discard the onions.
- In a small saucepan, add 1 1/2 cups of the reserved cooking liquid, maple syrup, brown sugar, ketchup, chili paste, mustard, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, ginger, salt and black pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 6 minutes.
- Pour the maple chili sauce over the beans in the slow cooker, cover the beans with a bit of foil over the top of the mixture, cover and set to high for 6 - 8 hours or low for 12 - 14 hours.
- Check the beans from time to time and, to thicken the sauce, you can remove the lid and foil for the last 30 minutes or so.
Adapted from the Barefoot Contessa / Ina Garten
Hebrew National wants to keep the summer going past the #99SummerDays and they have a Facebook contest going on. Tell them why YOU love Hebrew National and you could win free franks! You can check out the contest at http://on.fb.me/11hNZmG. As y’all know, I’ve been reading my labels lately and one of the reasons I adore Hebrew National is because they are all beef and no filler. Added bonus, they just taste divine!
Hebrew National tastes great because, for more than 100 years, we’ve adhered to the highest quality standards. Hebrew National Franks are made with premium cuts of 100% pure kosher beef, and contain no artificial flavors, no artificial colors, no by-products, and no fillers. Premium taste and high quality every time, for any occasion. That’s our guarantee. Learn about even more reasons to love Hebrew National, and tell us why you love them, too! www.facebook.com/HebrewNational
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Hebrew National via Glam Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Hebrew National.
You may also like -
Share the love
Get free updates