We are nearing the end of #BaconMonth so if you haven’t entered the fab giveaway, enter today!
There is something to be said for bacon in sweet recipes. Sure, bacon adds that wowza factor to savory applications and it’s the star for brunch, but in a sweet dessert is something that while I initially said “I dunno” and one bite of chocolate bacon changed my world forever. Don’t even get me started on my ultimate favorite Bacon Bark. These Sweet and Salty Chocolate Bacon Bars are sure to be a favorite among bacon lovers. After one bite, I tend to think that these bars are something that I think even the pastry wizards at Momofuku Milk Bar would love – it’s sweet, savory and decadent.
I cut these into small square bars and my friends and family went a bit nuts for these lovelies. Most of the recipe is assembly and preparation so I would think it’s best to have your ingredients at the ready because the assembly moves quickly. When you are looking for a showstopper sweet treat, make these Sweet and Salty Chocolate Bacon Bars and watch them disappear quickly. Just make sure to hide a couple for yourself to enjoy – and if they want you to share, tell them to make their own.
On to the recipe:
Gather your ingredients
Chopping up the bacon
The “crust” – freshly crushed potato chips and pretzels
Fresh out of the oven
These are so decadent
A small bite is perfect
Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens
These Sweet and Salty Chocolate Bacon Bars are sweet, savory and a decadent treat. Layers of crisp chips, chocolate, coconut and bacon are drizzled with sweetened condensed milk and then baked until golden. You know you are going to want one!
20 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 2 cups of plain kettle cooked potato chips, finely crushed
- 1/2 cup of pretzel rods, crushed
- 2 cups of semi sweet chocolate chips
- 9 slices of crisp thick cut bacon, crumbled
- 1 cup of butterscotch chips
- 3/4 cup of finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2/3 cup of slivered almonds, chopped
- 1/3 cup of pecans, chopped
- 1 14 ounce can of sweetened condensed milk
- Vanilla Salt to finish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 9 x 13 pan with foil, taking care to let it hang over the edges for easy removal
- Add the butter to the pan and let melt in the oven for 5 minutes or so.
- Swirl the pan so the entire bottom is covered with butter.
- To the melted butter, add the crushed potato chips and pretzels in an even layer.
- Over that layer, add the semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Using a spoon, lightly drizzle some of the sweetened condensed milk over that layer.
- Over the chocolate chips, sprinkle the bacon.
- Again swirl a little bit of the sweetened condensed milk over the bacon layer.
- Continue with the butterscotch chips, sprinkling in an even layer over the bacon and follow with drizzling of some of the sweetened condensed milk.
- Continue with the finely shredded coconut and follow with more drizzling of the sweetened condensed milk (You should have about 1/3 – 1/2 of the can left.)
- Follow with the mixture of the chopped almonds and pecans and follow with the remainder of the sweetened condensed milk.
- If you have vanilla salt, lightly sprinkle a small amount over the top (about 1/8 to a 1/4 of a teaspoon).
- Bake for about 30 minutes until the edges are brown and the top has a bit of a caramelized color.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the pan completely on a wire rack.
- If you are as impatient as me, remove the cooled bars from the pan using the foil overhang as levers, cut into small bars and enjoy.
- In the alternative, you can also chill in the fridge until everything is solidified and then cut into bars.
Let’s see what the #BaconMonth peeps have brought to the party
We’re nearing the end – make sure you enter to win!
You may also like -
Share the love
Get free updates