Often when one thinks of short ribs, the images of cold blustery days and a slow cooker simmering come to mind. However, when I heard Giada de Laurentiis do a variation of her lasagna rolls with Short Ribs, my ears perked up and I ran to FoodNetwork.com quicker than my bumbling fingers could type. I haven’t made short ribs in some time – mostly because the Sous Pug adores them and they are on his “can’t have anymore under pain of death” list. As it is, the pug knows when they are simmering away – he camps out by the stove/slow cooker until I am forced to share. However, for Father’s Day, I decided to brave the wrath of the pug and attempt to make.
This was the perfect dish – a bit time consuming between simmering the short ribs and assembly but the end result was well worth it. This is definitely on the tried and true list and I might have to make a few variations for future use.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 pounds beef short ribs
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Aleppo pepper (optional)
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, minced
- 4 cups beef broth, divided (I omitted the 2 cups of pinot noir)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups of shredded Italian 4 cheese mix (I used one that had asiago, pecorino romano, mozzarella, etc)
- 1 (10-ounce) box frozen spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed of excess liquid
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil (I omitted as I didn’t have on hand)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus extra for seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus extra for seasoning
- 12 lasagna noodles (I wound up using 16 and 2 baking dishes)
- Butter, for greasing baking dish
- 1 (25-ounce) jar of your favorite marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- In a large Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Season the ribs with 2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon pepper and Aleppo pepper and add them to the pan.
- Brown the short ribs about 4 minutes each side and set aside.
- Add the onions and garlic, cooking until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add rosemary and cook for an additional minute.
- Deglaze the pan with 2 cups of the beef broth (or wine if you use), scraping up all the brown bits on the bottom on the pan with a wooden spoon.
- Turn the heat to high, add the remaining 2 cups of beef broth and the browned ribs to the pan and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover the pan, and cook until the meat is very tender, about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Remove the ribs and set aside until cool enough to handle (around 20 minutes or so).
- When the ribs are cool, remove the bones and shred the meat which will yield about 2 1/4 cups shredded meat.
- Place the shredded meat in a medium size bowl and set aside.
- Discard the bones and cooking liquid.
- In a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan, over medium heat, bring the milk and cream to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the cheeses and whisk until melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the spinach, garlic and basil.
- Add the cheese and spinach mixture to the bowl containing the shredded short ribs.
- Add salt and pepper and mix the until combined. Check for seasoning and adjust as necessary
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Add the pasta and cook until just tender but still firm to the bite, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Butter a 9 by 13-inch glass baking dish.
- Spread 1 cup marinara sauce in the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Lay 4 noodles flat on a dry work surface.
- Spread 1/4 cup of the filling mixture evenly along each noodle.
- Roll up and place seam-side down in the baking dish. Repeat with the remaining noodles and filling.
- Spoon the remaining marinara sauce on top and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Drizzle with olive oil, and bake until the lasagna rolls are heated through and the cheese is beginning to brown, about 25 minutes.
Adapted from Giada de Laurentiis
Gather the ingredients – let’s start with the short ribs
Isn’t this a gorgeous sight – the marraige of cheese sauce and perfectly tender short ribs?
Time to Assemble
The Final Result – a delectable take on lasagna that will have your family singing your praises!
You may also like -
Share the love
Get free updates