Ordinary steak and potatoes sounds so bland doesn’t it. I often roast potatoes and onions for a side dish instead of the ordinary mashed or baked potato. Roasting seems to give them so much flavor. Ingrid Hoffmann made Vinegar and Coarse Salt Chipotle Roasted Potatoes a couple weeks ago and I thought that perhaps it might be a different flavor. Growing up, one of my friends, Val, often had a penchant for Salt & Vinegar chips and during many a gossip session at her house, I learned to appreciate the flavors of salt and vinegar.
This recipe doesn’t disappoint. Adding some cumin and chili powder to the mix just was the flavors that sent this from “great” to “phenomenal”. Two points to ponder – one, you must let the potatoes sit for 10 min. or so to soak up the flavors of the marinade and two – start checking the oven at 60 minutes but you might have to leave them in there for 75 minutes. Most of the review comments suggested that oven temps vary.
I served this with steak and the next morning, any leftovers went into a killer frittata.
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 6 small or 4 large russet potatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon coarse black pepper
- 1 small red onion, cut into medium wedges
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix vinegar, cumin and chili powder.
- Slice potatoes into 1-inch size chunks. Toss potatoes with vinegar mixture.
- Let the vinegar coated potatoes sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Drizzle olive oil over potatoes and place them in a single layer in large rimmed baking pan or roasting dish.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast, uncovered for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove potatoes from oven, add onions and mix together.
- Return pan to oven and roast for an additional 20 minutes. If the mixture is still not roasted fully, add another 10 to 15 minutes.
Recipe slightly adapted from Ingrid Hoffmann
Lining Up The Ingredients
Let the potatoes marinate – patience is key!
Add the onions
Serve with steak sliced over the top and enjoy!
Share the love
Get free updates