I decided to be adventurous and try this new take on Pork Chops and Applesauce from the Martha Stewart’s new cookbook Martha Stewart’s Dinner at Home: 52 Quick Meals to Cook for Family and Friends- her Pork Chops with Sautéed Apples and Onion.
First of all – it’s ridiculously perfect – the play on flavors is phenomenal. Secondly, it’s easy – it seems more complicated than what it really is. Now, my version is FAR from pretty like her version is but the taste more than made up for that. This is a recipe that I will definitely make again.
PORK CHOPS WITH SAUTÉED APPLES AND ONION
Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart’s Dinner at Home: 52 Quick Meals to Cook for Family and Friends
- 4 bone-in pork chops (each 8-9 oz and 1 inch thick) [Disclaimer - I used thick cut boneless pork chops]
- Coarse salt & freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons neutral tasting oil (she suggests safflower – I however used canola)
- 1 yellow onion thinly sliced
- 3 apples, such as honeycrisp, fuji or gala, cored and cut into 1/4 wedges
- 2 tbsp. brandy
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Pat dry pork with paper towels and season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high until hot but not smoking.
- Cook chops until golden brown on the bottom, 2 – 3 minutes. Turn with tongs; cook until brown on other side, about 1 minute.
- Transfer chops to a baking sheet. Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest part (avoiding bone) reaches 138° F, about 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven; tent with parchment paper, then foil, to keep warm.
- Return skillet to medium high heat. Cook onion until translucent, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes.
- Add apples; cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in brandy; heat until evaporated, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan with wooden spoon.
- Add stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until liquid has thickened to a sauce, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in butter; season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, arrange pork chops on top of the apple mixture.
Share the love
Get free updates