Every time a holiday comes near, I can’t help but think of my Bampa’s “Chocolate Pudding Pie”. He always had a chocolate pie cooling on the sideboard because, if you cut into it too soon, it would run everywhere. He would make his whipped cream from scratch and here I would be rifling in the fridge looking for that “whipped topping in a tub” (hey I wasn’t as well versed in homemade as I am now). If I could go back in time knowing what I know now, I would love for the opportunity to cook with my Bampa from the chestnut stuffing to the turkey to even that pie with the homemade whipped cream.
There are times I crave chocolate somewhat fierce, and if it’s mexican chocolate, even better. I love the melding of dark chocolate, cinnamon and a touch of cayanne. With all the events going on, some comfort food was needed and why not make mexican chocolate pudding from scratch, I thought. I think this is a recipe that not only will have everyone put the boxes of pudding mix away, but also might make my Bampa proud.
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups lowfat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into bits
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Whisk together brown sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, cinnamon, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a heavy medium saucepan.
- Whisk in milk and almond extract.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking often, then boil, whisking, 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and whisk in butter, vanilla and cayenne pepper (if desired)
- Chill in dishes and cover the surface of the pudding with cling film to prevent a skin from forming until cold, at least 1 1/2 hours.
Adapted from Epicurious
Gather the Ingredients
Time to whisk in the milk (hint, I added the almond extract to the milk in the measuring cup)
Homemade pudding cups?
Garnish with some grated bittersweet chocolate and a dab of whipped cream and enjoy!
Other Delicious Recipes
Share the love
Get free updates