This Pumpkin Seed Cherry Trail Mix is way more addictive than pistachios. Pumpkin seeds and nuts tossed with dried cherries and cranberries with a touch of sweetness – it’s a snack you can feel good about!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links of products that I adore and trust in my kitchen. Thank you for supporting Cooking In Stilettos. This recipe originally appeared on Cooking In Stilettos in January of 2010. The recipe has been updated with new photos and any recipe changes that I have incorporated over the years.
One of my favorite must watch tv shows is NCIS and it never fails that when USA Network is showing a marathon, I always get sucked in. What can I say, I think Gibbs aka Mark Harmon is hilarious and you know how I am about my crime dramas. One of the quotes that the USA Network always shows is Abby telling Gibbs that something is “more addictive than pistachios. Well, have you ever eaten just one pistachio?” Quite frankly, I think Abby has a point.
I have to warn you that this Pumpkin Seed Cherry Trail Mix from Claire Robinson’s 5 Ingredient Fix is way more addictive than pistachios. Not only is it good for you, packed with healthy nuts and dried fruit, but you will find yourself nibbling on this sweet and salty treat often. It’s super simple to make and I’m sure much healthier than, oh, let’s say those Cool Ranch Doritos or bag of M&Ms that might be stashed away in the pantry.
I added some dried cranberries I had lying in the pantry which was a nice addition to the dried cherries. As I adore dried cherries, I switched up the ratios a bit but fee free to sub any way you like. Plus, I have to confess – I tend to find myself doing “quality control” while testing recipes and dried cherries are my weakness. Maple syrup is the perfect sweetener with it’s smoky and sweet notes and just a hit of salt takes this trail mix from ordinary to extraordinary. One tip, try to use Dark Robust (formerly Grade B) maple syrup if you can – it has a deeper flavor I find and when you are using just a few ingredients, the flavor really comes through.
When you are looking for the perfect snack to make – whether to take to work to keep in the desk or send with the little ones for a school snack, make this Pumpkin Seed Cherry Trail Mix. Just make sure to squirrel away some for yourself because it will be gone in a flash!
On to the recipe:
Gather the Ingredients
Adding some maple syrup to the mix – use Dark Robust (formerly Grade B) if you can!
Toasty out of the oven
Adding the dried cherries and cranberries
Store In Airtight Container, Preferably With Combination Lock – All Mine!
I mean – doesn’t this look like the perfect snack?
Pumpkin Seed Cherry Trail Mix
This Pumpkin Seed Cherry Trail Mix is way more addictive than pistachios and couldn’t be easier to make from scratch with just a few pantry ingredients!
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8
- Category: Snack
- Cuisine: American
- 2 cups raw unsalted baby pumpkin seeds or pepitas
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup of pure maple syrup, preferably Grade B
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees F.
- Line a large baking sheet with either parchment paper (my fave) or a silicone baking mat.
- In a large bowl, toss together the pumpkin seeds, slivered almonds and sunflower seeds with the maple syrup until everything is evenly coated.
- Spread the mixture in a single layer onto the lined baking sheet and season with salt to taste. I used about 1/2 teaspoon.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes or so, stirring several times with spatula until golden.
- Cool the mixture completely on the baking sheet.
- Add the mixture to a large bowl, making sure to break up any clumps and add the dried cherries and cranberries.
- Stir to combine.
- Store the trail mix in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Trail mix should keep for a week or so (if it lasts that long.)
My favorite finds for this recipe:
Other Delicious Recipes
Share the love
Get free updates