Did you ever have a food that, when growing up, you’d cross your arms, shake your head and protest but now, as an adult, you love it?
Growing up, I remember that I would wrinkle my nose up and protest at the mere mention of the word “Prune.” However, if there was a plum to be had in the fruit bowl, that plum was mine. I LOVE grilling plums, adding them to sweet and savory dishes and, now that I’m older and a wee bit wiser, I know that prunes are, essentially, dried plums and there is always a bag in the pantry to mix into various dishes, trail mixes and the like.
Plus – I’ve learned there are added bonus to keeping prunes on hand. Prunes have some amazing health benefits. We’re talking bone health, fiber and potassium benefits here! They are helpful as they have a low glycemic index so you feel fuller longer. They are sweet so you don’t need as much sugar. They really are the “Feel Good Fruit.”
If you are making a smoothie, why not add a prune or two? Want to bake with prunes? Add them to the batter and they will add a subtle sweetness and keep the treats so unbelievably moist, you will love it. Keep prunes in the desk drawer and have a sweet snack instead of hitting the vending machine for a bag of chips or that candy bar that you’ll regret later. It’s all about making healthy choices in the new year.
So – when Sunsweet challenged me to come up with something that packs a healthy punch and could be a good snack or, in my case, a breakfast on the go, I toyed with the idea of a granola bar, smoothie or a parfait. However, I had the worst craving for one of those bakery muffins one morning – you know the ones that have this crumbly streusel topping and are studded with fruit and you just can’t resist. Clearly, all other options were out the window.
I made a few swaps with my typical muffin recipe to cut down on butter and amp up the good for you factor (oats, Greek yogurt, applesauce, dried plums/prunes) and wound up with this most delicious, moist muffin that was sweetly spiced with the flavors of cinnamon and plum (because you know those two flavors are a match made in heaven) and a highly addictive streusel topping. This, my friends, is a tried and true.
I dare you – make a batch of these muffins and give it a try. Snacking healthy has never been so delicious!
On to the recipe:
Gather your ingredients
These Plum Amaz!ns are addictive – they are that good!
A Tale of Two Preparations – Wet and Dry
Sweetly spiced muffins perfect for breakfast or snacking on the go!
Aly M. Cleary
These moist muffins are studded with sweet dried plums and are perfect for breakfast or snacking on the go!
15 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour + 1 tablespoon, divided
- 1/2 cup of quick cooking oats
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup of light brown sugar
- 1 cup of Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup of unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 cup of Sunsweet Plum Amaz!ns
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons of butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Either spray a non-stick muffin with nonstick spray or line them with paper cups. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 1 1/2 cups of flour, the oats, baking powder, cinnamon and kosher salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add the egg and whisk.
- Add the brown sugar, Greek yogurt, applesauce and vanilla and combine until everything is thoroughly mixed.
- Dust the Sunsweet Plum Amaz!ns with flour and set aside.
- Using a spatula, add the wet ingredients to the dry and fold the mixture together until it is almost together.
- Add in the flour dusted Plum Amaz!ns and fold everything together.
- To make the streusel, add the flour, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon and salt into a bowl and mix until the mixture resembles largely coarse crumbs.
- Using a large scoop, add a scoop of the muffin batter to each muffin cup, filling each to about 2/3 full.
- Top with a bit of streusel (about a tablespoon or so)
- Bake the muffins for about 20-25 minutes, until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack and enjoy!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
Other Delicious Recipes
Share the love
Get free updates