Sometimes you just need that side dish that makes you go “Why don’t I make this more often” and this glorious side is one that is not only fabulous for holidays and entertaining, but also for weeknight dinners. I adore butternut squash and when you roast it in the oven, it comes out caramelized and utterly delicious. Add some shallots and a bit of thyme and the oven has its party shoes on. Now – to glitz it up, I toss it with some toasted pecans and some sharp blue cheese and, as I thought might happen, this side dish was gone in a flash. For those that do not adore blue cheese, well, you can always substitute a bit of goat cheese or ricotta salata for that cheesy bite. However, I love the flavor combo of the blue cheese against the sweet squash.
This Roasted Butternut Squash with Pecans, Shallots and Blue Cheese will steal the dinner spotlight. Your guests don’t have to know how easy it is to prepare.
On to the recipe:
Gather your ingredients
Let’s roast the butternut squash and shallots
Easiest side dish ever!
Aly M. Cleary
Roasted Butternut Squash is accented with sweet roasted shallots, toasted pecans and creamy crumbled blue cheese. It's the perfect side dish for either a holiday dinner or a quick weeknight dinner.
10 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and cubed (about 3 cups)
- 7-8 shallots, peeled and halved (or quartered if larger)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of fresh thyme, chopped
- 3/4 cup of pecan halves
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup of blue cheese, crumbled (depending on how much you adore blue cheese)
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F.
- On a large baking sheet, toss the butternut squash and the shallots with the olive oil, salt, pepper and the chopped thyme.
- Spread out on the baking sheet in a single layer and roast for about 30 -35 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the squash is soft and caramelized and the shallots have a bit of a roasty brown hue.
- While the squash and shallots are roasting, in a dry skillet over medium heat, lightly toast the pecan halves.
- Chop the toasted pecans and set aside.
- When the squash mixture is done, toss in a bowl with the chopped pecans and blue cheese and serve.
You May Also Like
Share the love
Get free updates