One of the challenges I face is when one has leftover rotisserie chicken, what do you do? There’s only so much chicken salad that a gal can make. Faced with a partial leftover chicken taking up valuable real estate in my refrigerator, I thought “Soup”. However, I was not in the mood for my normal Southwestern Chicken soup. My tried & true recipes were not an option and add a case of the winter blahs and I found myself in a winter recipe rut.
Giada de Laurentiis had a recipe for a Lemon Chicken Soup with Spaghetti but since I’m not much of a spaghetti fan (don’t ask – it’s a childhood thing), I looked in the pantry and substituted egg noodles. I also added the zest of one lemon and some garlic and celery and I found a new spin on an old favorite. The options with this soup are endless – just jazz it up to what suits your palate. Serve with crusty bread and dinner is served!
This Lemon Chicken Noodle Soup is a great dinner option for those nights when only quick and easy will do.
On to the recipe:
Gather the ingredients
Adding a Parmesan rind to the lemony broth
Let’s bring everything to a simmer
And add even more Parmesan
Warm Comfort At Last – SO Good!
Adapted from Giada de Laurentiis
This Lemon Chicken Noodle Soup is a fresh take on a classic - comforting and packed with citrus flavor!
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 6 cups chicken broth (preferably low sodium)
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 (2-inch) piece Parmesan cheese rind, optional
- 1 cup of carrots, peeled and sliced into half moons
- 2 ribs of celery, sliced into half moons
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 2 cups of whole wheat egg noodles
- 2 cups diced cooked rotisserie chicken, preferably breast meat
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Kosher salt
- In a large Dutch oven or soup pot over medium high heat, bring the chicken broth, lemon zest and juice, bay leaf and Parmesan rind to a boil.
- Add the carrots and celery to the mixture and simmer until tender, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add the egg noodles and cook for about 5 minutes or so and stir.
- Add the chicken and heat through, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf and the Parmesan rind and discard.
- Stir in 1/2 of the cheese and the parsley.
- Season with salt, to taste.
- Serve the soup sprinkled with the remaining Parmesan and enjoy!
[Note: This recipe originally appeared on Cooking in Stilettos in February 2010; it has been updated to reflect the changes I have incorporated over the years as well as new photos.]
You May Also Like
Share the love
Get free updates