One of the challenges I face is when one has leftover rotisserie chicken, what do you do? There’s only so much chicken salad that a gal can make. Well, faced with a partial leftover chicken taking up valuable real estate in my refrigerator, I thought “Soup”. However, I was not in the mood for my normal Southwestern Chicken soup. Sadly, I found myself in a winter recipe rut. My tried & true recipes were not an option and add a case of the winter blahs and I found myself in a winter recipe rut.
Giada de Laurentiis had a recipe for a Lemon Chicken Soup with Spaghetti but since I’m not much of a spaghetti fan (don’t ask – it’s a childhood thing), I looked in the pantry and substituted egg noodles. I also added the zest of one lemon and some garlic and celery and I found a new spin on an old favorite.
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 (2-inch) piece Parmesan cheese rind, optional
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 rib of celery, sliced into moons
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 2 cups of egg noodles
- 2 cups diced cooked rotisserie chicken, preferably breast meat
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Kosher salt
- Over medium high heat, bring the chicken broth, lemon juice, lemon zest, bay leaf, and Parmesan rind to a boil in a large Dutch oven or stockpot.
- Add the carrots and celery to the mixture and simmer until tender, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add the egg noodles and cook for about 5 minutes or so and stir.
- Add the chicken and heat through, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf and the Parmesan rind and discard.
- Stir in 1/2 of the cheese and the parsley.
- Season with salt, to taste.
- Serve the soup sprinkled with the remaining Parmesan and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Giada de Laurentiis
Gather the ingredients
That bay leaf looks lonely among the chicken broth, garlic and lemon zest/juice, no?
No thumbs were butchered when slicing the veggies *phew*
Warm Comfort At Last – SO Good!
Share the love
Get free updates