This recipe is SO simple and it is perfect for that weeknight meal for friends and family. Essentially, it’s chicken thighs cooked with wine, bacon, a little bit of onion and mushrooms served on a bed of egg noodles.
Gather the ingredients
I have NEVER seen young Vidalia onions like this
Bacon and onions – a delightful combo
Easiest wine measurement ever – just add the whole bottle!
One of my favorite dishes to date.
- 6 slices of thick bacon, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 small young Vidalia onions (or if you can't find those, substitute one medium Vidalia onion, sliced thin)
- 12 skinless boneless chicken thighs
- 3 bay leaves
- 8 ounces of sliced baby portabella mushrooms
- 1 bottle of your favorite Sauvignon Blanc
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 to 2 tablespoons freshly chopped dill
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of freshly chopped flat leaf parsley.
- Cooked Egg noodles
- In a large Dutch oven, add the bacon and brown until slightly crisp.
- Drain some of the bacon grease, add the sliced onions and sauté with the bacon for a couple minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté for a minute.
- To the onion, bacon and garlic mixture, add the chicken thighs, bay leaves, mushrooms and wine.
- Season with salt and pepper and bring the mixture to a boil.
- When the mixture is boiling, cover the pan and simmer for an hour or so.
- Remove the bay leaves, serve over the cooked egg noodles and garnish with a bit of dill and parsley.