One of my favorite things to serve at soirees is Prosecco. The pop of the cork, the bubbles and fizz as it pours into the glass, the smile at the first sip – how could one not love a glass. However, Prosecco doesn’t have to be saved for just special occasions but can be for a casual girls’ night, an evening with that special someone or at brunch with the in-laws. It’s the perfect choice for those times you just want to add a bit of affordable luxury.
Recently, I was greeted at my front door by a stunning blue box that contained a bottle of La Marca Prosecco. With a light crisp flavor, La Marca Prosecco can be paired with anything on your menu from appetizers (like my Ultimate Stuffed ‘Shrooms) to dessert (like these Spicy Smoky S’mores). So – in thinking about how I should serve this libation, I knew that I had to create a cocktail that would be the perfect compliment to it.
I decided to play with a twist on an Amaretto Sour recipe and I think I found the perfect combination. This Sparkling Amaretto Sour is sweet and tart with a taste that will have your guests raving. Fresh citrus juice melds perfectly with the amaretto and the prosecco and, even better – it couldn’t be easier to whip up.
On to the recipe:
Gather your ingredients
First step – make the citrus simple syrup
Time to make the cocktail
Quick tip: cut a half of lemon vertically and rim the glass with the lemon juice and dip into the citrus zest sugar
Now – tell me this doesn’t sound divine?
Adapted from Giada de Laurentiis
This Sparkling Amaretto Sour is a twist on a classic - fresh citrus melds with Amaretto and a fabulous Italian prosecco for a chic cocktail!
15 minPrep Time
15 minTotal Time
- 2/3 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of water
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- For the Sugar Rim:
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1/2 a lemon
- 1 cup of La Marca Prosecco
- 1/3 cup of Amaretto liqueur
- 1/3 cup of simple syrup
- 1/4 cup of fresh lemon and lime juice (about 1 lemon squeezed and half a lime)
- Ice Cubes
- Lemon/Lime slices for garnish
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, dissolve the sugar in the water and lemon juice mixture.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer, for about 5 minutes or so until the sugar is fully dissolved.
- Let cool.
- In a shallow bowl or small plate, combine the sugar, lemon and lime zest.
- Using half of a lemon, rim the glass with lemon juice and dip the glass in sugar, making sure it's fully coated. Set aside to harden.
- In a shaker with a bit of ice, combine the Prosecco, Amaretto liqueur, simple syrup and fresh citrus juice. Gently mix or shake.
- Add ice cubes to the sugar rimmed glasses and pour the cocktail into the glasses.
- Garnish with a slice of lemon or lime if so desired.