When I made Nigella Lawson’s Bourbon Glazed Ribs back in December, little did I know that I would adore this sauce so much that I would try to jazz it up in the slow-cooker. This will be the ONLY sauce I use for pulled pork for quite some time. The flavor is phenomenal and this Bourbon Slow Cooked Pulled Pork, served with my poblano rice, is a winner of a dinner! Sidenote: the leftover pork makes a killer sandwich the next day!
- 2 lb. pork shoulder
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup bourbon
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1 large onion, sliced
- Season the pork with salt and pepper. Brown the pork on all sides and place in slow cooker.
- Scatter the sliced onions around the slow cooker.
- In a large bowl, mix the dark brown sugar, bourbon, soy sauce, Dijon mustard, and ketchup. Pour over the pork and onion mixture.
- Set the slow cooker to low and cook the pork mixture for 8 hours.
- At the end of 8 hours, remove the pork let it rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the onions and the sauce to a smooth mixture. If you don’t have an immersion blender, use your blender – it will be just fine.
- Shred the pork and mix some of the sauce with the shredded pork. Serve with extra sauce if requested.
Recipe adapted from Nigella Lawson
Gather your ingredients
Brown the pork
Shred and Sauce
The end result
Share the love
Get free updates