Welcome to Day #2 of Appetizer Week, a multi-blogger event co-hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Kristen from Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker. With the big football game coming up, we wanted to make sure you had plenty of ideas for your game day spread. Each day we will be dishing up a different set of appetizers. We hope you enjoy this fabulous group of recipes. Tune in each day starting with Monday, January 20 and ending on Saturday, January 25.
One classic that was always at any get-together is the tried and true – onion dip. However, what if we amp’d up the flavors and made it a bit lighter? Now that sounds like an onion dip I’d adore.
This Caramelized Onion Dip takes a bit of time to prepare but I promise you the flavor is well worth the time investment. Rich caramelized onions flavored with a touch of thyme and mixed with Greek yogurt and light cream cheese results in a dip that definitely did not come from a packet.
Want to make it chic – serve it in a hollowed out bread bowl and toast up the bread croutons for a bit of dipping love. I love the flavored boules at the local market and their rosemary sourdough bread is divine, especially with this dip.
So – for the Big Game, throw out that packet and make this dip – your guests will thank you!
On to the recipe:
Gather your ingredients
Caramelizing the onions – Patience is key!
Time to mix
My favorite way to present this delicious dip!
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon of fresh thyme
- 1 clove of garlic, finely minced
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 8 ounce block of neufchatel cheese (low fat cream cheese), room temperature
- 1 cup of Greek yogurt
- 1 – 2 tablespoons of chopped chives
- Large round bread loaf for serving (optional)
- Raw vegetables and chips for serving
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the sliced onions and ½ teaspoon of salt. Stir. If desired, add about ⅛ of a teaspoon of freshly cracked black pepper.
- Let the onions cook, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes.
- When the onions start to take on a richer caramel hue, add the thyme and the garlic.
- Cook for a few minutes more.
- (Optional – use a touch of water to deglaze the pan – remember, there’s flavor in the brown)
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cream cheese, Greek yogurt, chives and caramelized onions.
- Test for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Let chill for at least an hour to allow the flavors to meld.
- If serving in a bread bowl, cut off the top and hollow out the interior, allowing a perimeter of bread to show.
- Toast up the interior bread cubes for dipping.
- Fill with the dip and enjoy!
Visit all the other Appetizer Week Peeps for more Munchie Causing Goodness:
- Pizza Dip by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Steak and Potato Bites by Kiss My Smoke
- Gluten Free Brie en Croute by Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
- Caramelized Onion, Brie, and Pear Crostini by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Easy Low-Carb Chicken Dip by Yours and Mine Are Ours
- Caramelized Onion Dip by Cooking in Stilettos
- Tuna Bruschetta by What’s Cooking, Love?
- Harvest Sweet Potato Salsa by Farm Fresh Feasts
- Parmesan Chips by Makobi Scribe
- Mini Cheeseburgers by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Bacon Wrapped Little Smokies by Clarks Condensed
- Baked Buffalo Chicken Bites by From Gate to Plate
- Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Apricots by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Crock Pot Party Meatballs by My Catholic Kitchen
- Bacon Cheese Popcorn by Life Off the Clock
- Empanada Mini Pies by The NY Melrose Family
- Buffalo Chicken Tortilla Pinwheels by Home Cooking Memories
- Easy Cheesy Mexican Dip by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- French Onion Grilled Cheese Stackers by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Root Beer Chicken Wings by Try Anything Once Culinary
- Low Sodium Swiss Cheeseburger Stuffed Mushrooms by Cookerati
Today’s sponsor is Anolon. They are providing an Anolon Nouvelle Copper Stainless Steel Collection 10-piece set, which includes1.25 Qt. & 2.5 Qt. covered saucepans, 3 Qt. covered saute, 6.5 Qt. covered stockpot, 8″ & 10″ French skillets. This Anolon Set has a stunning, high polish finish that would class up any kitchen. The set is crafted with a layer of copper on the bottom which provides optimum heat conduction. This Anolon collection is also dishwasher safe. Anolon Nouvelle Copper Stainless Steel cookware is gorgeous and will withstand the test of time.
Giveaway is open to U.S. residents only. Winner must be 18 years of age, or older. Winner will be selected randomly. Winner will be contacted via email and has 72 hours to respond before a new winner is drawn. Good luck!
***Disclaimer: This giveaway is being provided by Anolon. #AppetizerWeek bloggers have not received product or been compensated as a part of this giveaway.***
You may also like -
Share the love
Get free updates