On Easter, I was looking for the *perfect* spring side dish and these Honey Ginger Green Beans came to the rescue. Don’t get me wrong – I adore my favorite Stovetop Green Bean Casserole but in the spring, I wanted something a bit lighter but with a bit of pep. I found a recipe on AllRecipes that looked fabulous and tinkered with it a bit until I got the perfect marriage of flavors – spicy, sweet, salty and a bit of brightness thanks to a squeeze of lemon.
This dish comes together unbelievably fast – a quick blanch in some boiling water followed by an icy cold rinse to stop the cooking and keep the beans crisp. The sauce simmers and perfumes the kitchen with the wonderful smell of honey and ginger. A quick toss of the green beans in the bubbling sauce and *viola* – the perfect spring side dish. So, when you are looking for the perfect dish for your dinner table, why not give this recipe a try – your friends and family will adore it!
On to the recipe:
Gather your ingredients
A quick blanch
Adding a touch of sweetness to the salty spicy flavor
Look at that sauce bubbling away
A quick toss and …
Viola – the perfect side dish!
Slightly adapted from [AllRecipes|http://allrecipes.com/recipe/honey-ginger-green-beans/" target="_blank]
Crisp green beans sauteed with the flavors of ginger, honey and a bit of spice - it's an easy side that will have your family asking for more!
5 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 2 pounds of fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 - 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of fresh ginger, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 cup honey
- Juice of 1/2 a small lemon
- Bring a large pot of water to a rapid boil. Add a bit of salt and add your green beans.
- Cook for about 5 minutes or so, until the beans are a bit tender and drain.
- Rinse the beans under ice cold water to stop the cooking so that they retain a bit of bite. Set aside.
- In a large non-stick saucepan over medium high heat, add the soy sauce.
- When the soy sauce is heated, add the garlic and ginger, and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the red pepper flakes and saute until fragrant.
- Slowly pour in in the honey and stir to combine. Add in the lemon juice and bring the sauce mixture to a bubbling simmer.
- Add the green beans and stir to coat the crisp beans with the honey ginger sauce. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for about 5 minutes.
You may also like -
Share the love
Get free updates