One of my favorite people, Single Serving Byte’s Manouschka, did something incredibly daring for Lent this year – she gave up bacon. How the heck she got through all 40 days is beyond me because I seriously think I would cracked by week 2. Personally, I think she would have cracked for this tried and true: Sweetly Spiced Bacon.
The first time I made this recipe was for a gal’s brunch at my first place in Orlando and the bacon was so good that not a piece was left. Other times I have made it, the same result. Even the Evil Minx hovers by the stove when she smells the bacon crisping up – and she will fight to the death for her piece. I have “war wounds” that can testify to that fact. You just don’t mess with her bacon.
This recipe was inspired by the Barefoot Contessa’s Maple Roasted Bacon Recipe but I decided to switch up the ingredients with brown sugar and freshly cracked black pepper and, to date, I haven’t changed it. Three lovely ingredients and viola – smoky sweet spiced bacon goodness. You can always improvise and add a little all spice or some paprika but, in the end, the brown sugar and pepper always seals the deal with me. Get some good quality thick cut bacon for it too – it makes a difference. Just make sure to set aside a couple pieces for yourself.
- 1 lb thick cut good quality bacon
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup of firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 -1 teaspoon of freshly cracked black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400
- Line a baking sheet with foil and place a baking rack over the foil lined baking sheet. (It saves you a lot of messy cleanup – trust me on this).
- Lay the bacon strips across the rack in one layer, lining the strips up edge to edge.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar over the bacon strips, making sure each strip has a nice light amount of sugar coating it.
- Sprinkle the pepper across the bacon in the same manner.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for about 25 minutes until crisp and golden.
Inspired by Ina Garten, The Barefoot Contessa
Gather your ingredients
Sprinkled with sugar and spice
Ahhh Sweetly Spiced Bacon – is there anything better.
Share the love
Get free updates