The first time I made Sweetly Spiced Bacon was for a gal’s brunch at my first place in Orlando and the bacon was so good that not a piece was left. Other times I have made it, the same result.
I decided to switch up the ingredients with brown sugar and freshly cracked black pepper and, occasionally, a touch of cayenne and, to date, I haven’t changed it. A few lovely ingredients and voila – smoky sweet spiced bacon goodness. You can always improvise and add a little allspice or some paprika but, in the end, the brown sugar and pepper always seals the deal with me. Get some good quality thick cut bacon for it too – it makes a difference. Just make sure to set aside a couple pieces for yourself and, for the love of all things holy, if you have a dog or cat around – ban them from the kitchen because they will stalk the oven at first whiff!
On to the recipe:
Gather your ingredients
Thick cut bacon sprinkled with sugar and spice
Look at this tray of sizzling goodness
Ahhh Sweetly Spiced Bacon – is there anything better.
Aly M. Cleary
This sweetly spiced bacon will be the hit of your next brunch - a few simple ingredients sprinkled over thick cut bacon and baked in the oven - no muss, no fuss and all flavor!
5 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 lb thick cut good quality bacon
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup of firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 -1 teaspoon of freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and place a baking rack over the foil lined baking sheet. (It saves you a lot of messy cleanup – trust me on this).
- Lay the bacon strips across the rack in one layer, lining the strips up edge to edge.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar over the bacon strips, making sure each strip has a nice light amount of sugar coating it.
- Sprinkle the pepper and cayenne pepper (if using) across the bacon in the same manner.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for about 25 minutes until crisp and golden.