There’s a reason why I cannot watch Giada de Laurentiis’ travel show on the Food Network – namely because it puts ideas in my head of different flavor combinations and then I turn into the kitchen chemist with a theory of “little bit of this” and “let’s put in some more of that” and I don’t measure. Ugh!
Anywhoo – Giada happened to be in the Hamptons on this episode and she had a watermelon salad with some ricotta salata, red onion and arugula. Wait – did she say my favorite green – arugula? My ears perked up, I rewound the tivo and paid attention. What a great idea – I’m not too fond of feta and, since ricotta salata was mentioned as being similar, I figured, why the heck not. I keep most of the ingredients in my fridge anyway – all I needed to pick up was the cheese and the mint for the 4th of July soiree.
This Watermelon Salad with Ricotta Salata was a raving success. My friends went bananas for it. I adore it and this salad has started a brand new love affair with watermelon. Who knew that something so savory could also be so refreshing.
- 1 small seedless watermelon, rind removed and cubed (should be 3-4 cups or one medium size “tub” from the grocery store)
- I small red onion
- 1/2 cup of ricotta salata, shaved
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- 3-4 mint leaves, chopped
- 1/2 tbsp. of olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Arugula for serving
- Thinly slice the red onion into half moons and put into bowl.
- Juice the lemon directly into the red onion and let the onion marinate for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, add the olive oil to the onion and toss.
- Add the red onion, including the lemon juice marinade to the cubed watermelon.
- Add the shaved ricotta salata, zest and mint and toss all ingredients together.
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Serve over arugula and enjoy.
Inspired by “The Hamptons” episode of Giada’s Weekend Adventures
Share the love
Get free updates