Beef Bourguignon is one of those recipes that intimidates me. I don’t know why. However, I figured that since there was a version for the slow cooker, perhaps I might give it a shot. I took Mr. Slow Cooker off the fridge – determined to make it earn its keep – and went through the fridge gathering the ingredients. Thankfully, I always keep frozen pearl onions in the freezer and, before you shoot me, I follow a specific rule – if you would drink it, cook with it. I cracked open a bottle of my favorite Cabernet and went to town.
My final determination: I now understand why this is a classic and will keep my new favorite Slow Cooker Beef Bourguignon in my tried and true arsenal. I also will never confess how a glass of wine and some bacon bits went missing – I mean one minute they were there on the counter and the next, it was as if a mouse went nibblin’…
This is a dish your family and friends will adore – and it couldn’t be easier to make!
On to the recipe:
Gather the ingredients
One of my favorite wines…
All In The Pot
This Beef Bourguignon couldn't be easier to make - friends and family will rave and your slow cooker did most of the work.
30 minPrep Time
6 hr, 30 Cook Time
7 hrTotal Time
- 6 strips bacon, cut into 1- to 2-inch pieces
- 2-3 pounds beef, cubed
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 10 ounces beef broth
- 2 cups red or Burgundy wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon whole thyme
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon of whole rosemary
- 1/2 pound pearl white onions, peeled
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- Pinch of red pepper flakes or Aleppo chili (optional)
- Egg Noodles for serving
- In a skillet (or if you have a slow cooker insert you can use on the stovetop, use that), sauté bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon and set aside.
- Add beef cubes to skillet and brown well. Remove beef and set aside.
- Brown carrot and onion. Add the garlic.
- Season with salt and pepper, stir in flour, add broth to deglaze the skillet/insert, and mix well. Transfer to slow cooker insert.
- Add beef and bacon, mix, and place everything in slow cooker heating base.
- Add wine, tomato paste, bay leaf, rosemary, onions, mushrooms and, if using, red pepper flakes or Aleppo chili.
- Cover; cook on low for 10-12 hours or on high for 5-6 hours.
- Serve over egg noodles and enjoy!