Gather Your Ingredients
Mmmmm – Apples
Time to make the Dough – sorry no nuts
Shall We Roll?
And My Utter #EpicFail – No Way This is “Lightly” Dusted – oops!
I could smooch that doughboy right now…
All Glossed Up With Somewhere To Go
And, May I Present My First Quasi Homemade Apple Cheddar Pie
Apple Cheddar Cheese Pie
This is an epic apple pie. Sweet and savory with sharp cheddar cheese woven throughout. The only decision you have to make is whether or not to hide a slice for yourself.
2 hr, 30 Prep Time
1 hrCook Time
3 hr, 30 Total Time
- 2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 2 sticks of cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 1 cup of grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 5 tablespoons of ice water (more if needed)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 6 Golden Delicious or Granny Smith apples, cored, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon of grated fresh lemon zest
- Pinch of kosher
- 2 tablespoons of butter, chilled and diced
- Tablespoon of turbinado sugar for dusting
For the Crust (if not using premade)
For the Filling:
- In a food processor, mix the flour, sugar, salt and pulse for 5 seconds.
- To the mixture, add the chilled butter and pulse until the dough looks like peas.
- Add the cheddar cheese and pulse for a few more seconds.
- Transfer the flour mixture to a large bowl and add the ice water slowly, mixing with a fork until moist clumps form. If the dough becomes too dry, add ice water, one tablespoon at a time.
- Form the dough into a ball and divide in half.
- Flatten each half into a disk, wrap with cling wrap and place in fridge for at least an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Whisk together the cornstarch and sugar in a bowl thoroughly ensuring that there are no lumps in the cornstarch.
- Add the apples, lemon juice, lemon zest and salt.
- On a large LIGHTLY floured workspace, roll out one of the disks to a 13-inch round. (Key term – lightly).
- If using a store bought dough, sprinkle some of the cheddar cheese onto the dough (about 1/3 of a cup) pre-rolling to ensure that the cheddar cheese is in the dough.
- Transfer the dough to a 9-inch deep pie plate and brush the dough hanging over the edge with water.
- If you are using store bought dough, add some of the cheddar cheese to the bottom before you add the filling (about 1/2 a cup)
- Pour the filling into the dough-lined dish and dot it with the 2 tablespoons of butter.
- On the same LIGHTLY floured surface, roll out the second disk into a 12-inch round. (Really can't stress the lightly enough).
- If using store bought dough, add the remaining tablespoon or so of shredded cheese and roll that into the dough.
- Place the dough on top of the filling and press the dough overhang from the bottom and top pieces to seal.
- Cut the overhang to 1/2 an inch.
- Fold the overhang over and crimp decoratively.
- Cut a small decorative "X" in the center and fold corners back to allow the steam to escape.
- Lightly brush the top of the pie with ice water and dust lightly with the turbinado sugar.
- Bake until the pie is lightly golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- Cover the crust edge with foil and turn the oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- Bake the pie for another 30 minutes until the filling is bubbling.
- Cool pie on rack for an hour.
For the Crust (if making from scratch)
For the Filling: