Once you make this Skinny Homemade Hot Chocolate, you won’t even glance at an envelope of that hot cocoa mix that has been languishing in your pantry ever again. This sweetly spiced sip takes hot chocolate from ho-hum to ho-ho-ho in about 10 minutes!
I’m not a fan of overly sweet hot chocolate and often find some of the prepackaged mixes cloyingly sweet. Making hot chocolate from scratch has been something I always thought was laborious until I actually tried it and, I must confess, it’s ridiculously easy. A bit of whisking, a bit of simmering, and then sipping. Seriously – not hard at all.
I am a huge fan of dark chocolate so I adore a slight touch of bitterness from the unsweetened cocoa in this recipe. To take hot chocolate over the moon, I add a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg and a sprinkling of ground cinnamon. For a bit more sweetness that I can control, I add a touch of Sweet‘N Low® in lieu of the ton of sugar that you often find in some of the pre-packaged mixes. While I tend to lean to using less sweetener in my drinks, this recipe is easily customized to your taste.
On to the recipe:
Gather your ingredients
Whisk whisk whisk
The level of sweetness is up to you.
Now – doesn’t this look like a comforting sip?
Wait – I almost forgot the holiday spirit…
Now this – this is a cozy comforting sip – bring on the holidays!
Aly M. Cleary
A steaming mug of Skinny Homemade Hot Chocolate is just what the holidays called for. Flavored with a hint of cinnamon and nutmeg and a touch of sweetness from Sweet 'N Low, this is a soul-warming skinny sip!
5 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 1/3 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups of milk (skim, 1%, 2% or whole – the choice is up to you)
- 5 – 6 packets of Sweet'N Low® sweetener (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon of kosher salt
- Cinnamon sticks and freshly grated nutmeg for garnish
- 4 ounces of spiced rum (optional)
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan over a medium low flame, add the cocoa powder and milk and whisk until the cocoa powder is fully incorporated into the milk.
- Add the Sweet'N Low® sweetener, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt to the pot and whisk to incorporate, making sure everything dissolves.
- Simmer for about 7 - 10 minutes until the mixture has thickened.
- Ladle into mugs and add a bit of rum, if you want a bit of holiday spirit.
- Garnish each mug with a cinnamon stick and a grating of fresh nutmeg.