Holiday party season is here and I have an appetizer that will have your guests begging for the recipe – Tropical Spiced Mixed Nuts that are sweetly spicy and accented with dried pineapple, mango, ginger and coconut.
Planters wanted recipe incorporating their delicious nuts, including their Mixed Nuts, Walnuts and Cashews. I know I have spoken about it before but Planters cashews strike a special note in my heart. My Bampa loved his cashews, often keeping containers of Planters cashews in the pantry and in the jar in the living room. If he was here today, I have no doubt he would have loved this recipe.
Planters has been a pantry must in my family since I can remember. After all, Planters has been an American favorite for 100 years – a party isn’t a party until Planters makes an appearance.
I adore serving spiced nuts. I tend to toss them in a quick sweet and salty mixture, using various spices to convey the mood – whether it’s adding some smoked paprika and cumin for a Southwestern feel, a bit of spice and coffee tossed with a touch of sugar for an espresso tinged snack or, my new favorite, these delicious Tropical Spiced Mixed Nuts tossed with Chinese 5 spice, cayenne and a touch of cinnamon.
For homemade holidays, I also love gifting friends and family with various treats for their pantry and this year, this recipe will be at the top of my gift list. Packaged in pretty jars or boxes tied with festive ribbon, these mixed nuts will be a welcome surprise in anyone’s stocking or mailbox.
This recipe couldn’t be easier to prepare as the oven does most of the work. The main thing is to keep an eye on the nuts because oven temperatures vary. I also use unsweetened coconut because it clings to the nuts and the spice mix is already tinged with enough sweetness. The walnuts added a nice earthiness to the mix and, of course, I couldn’t make this recipe without cashews. The sweetness from the dried pineapple and mango and the sweet spice of the crystalized ginger round out the flavors.
For a recipe that will wow your friends and family this holiday season and be the perfect gift, break out the Planters and make these Tropical Spiced Mixed Nuts.
Onto the recipe:
Gather your ingredients
You can never go wrong with Planters nuts
Whisking together the sweet and spicy mix
Let’s get these onto the pan and into the oven
Adding a bit of coconut and tropical fruit love
Tropical Spiced Mixed Nuts – the perfect gift to enjoy and to give!
Aly M. Cleary
These Tropical Spiced Mixed Nuts made with a variety of Planters nuts coated in a sweetly spicy glaze and tossed with tropical flavors is a delicious gift to serve this holiday season
30 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
- 1 cup of Planters Cashews
- 1 cup of Planters Mixed Nuts
- 1/2 cup of Planters Walnuts
- 3 tablespoons of butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of Chinese 5 spice
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened finely flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup of dried pineapple, diced
- 1/2 cup of dried mango, diced
- 1/4 cup of crystallized ginger, diced
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with either aluminum foil or a silpat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the butter, brown sugar, Chinese 5 spice, cinnamon, cayenne pepper and nutmeg until everything is evenly mixed.
- Fold in the Planters cashews, Mixed Nuts, and walnuts so that every nut is coated in the sweet spice mixture.
- Pour onto the prepared baking sheet, spreading into one even layer.
- Let bake for 25 – 30 minutes, taking care to stir the ingredients and rotate the pan midway through baking. However, I must caution you – if you even think you smell the nuts starting to burn, check it immediately.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool on the pan for 15 minutes.
- Pour the nuts into a large bowl and add the coconut, diced pineapple, diced mango and diced crystallized ginger
- Mix thoroughly and place into jars for gift giving or in a serving bowl.
Makes 24 servings (1/2 ounce a serving)
For more information on Planters nuts and delicious recipe ideas, check out their website and follow them on Facebook and Twitter!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and provided product samples by Kraft Foods, and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
Other Delicious Recipes
Share the love
Get free updates