Welcome to Day One of Christmas Week. This event is hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Susan of The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen. We hope to inspire you to break out those holiday sprinkles and get your bake on!
It’s the first day of #ChristmasWeek and we’ve got some delicious sweet treats that will have you forgetting about calories until January hits. Added bonus, we’re celebrating Susan of Little Red Kitchen‘s birthday so I brought a sweetly salted treat to the party – these rich and buttery Millionaire’s Shortbread Cookies. What’s a Millionaire’s Shortbread you ask – a rich buttery shortbread layered with a bit of caramel and chocolate – decadent, divine and utterly delicious!
I decided to play with a basic recipe and add my own spin to the mix with adding a touch of Peanut Butter to the mix. Why Peanut Butter you ask – because peanut butter and chocolate are a match made in heaven and add some caramel and finish with a bit of fleur de sel and this is a cookie that is a must make this holiday season.
It couldn’t be easier to make – but you need one vital thing – patience! Oh – and room in the fridge to chill everything. This cookie does take a bit of effort but after you whip up the components – it’s assemble, cool, wait, assemble, cool, wait, assemble, cool – cut. See – patience is key.
I promise – if you leave these for Santa, well, he might just leave you a sassy pair of Louboutins under the tree – after all, you need a rich cookie to go with some stylish stilettos, don’t you think?
On to the recipe:
Gather your ingredients
Time to cut the butter into the dry ingredients
Making the Peanut Butter Caramel
Spreading the Peanut Butter Caramel over the Shortbread Crust
And then with a touch of chocolate over the peanut butter caramel layer and a sprinkle of fleur de sel
Now – THIS is a cookie my friends
Aly M. Cleary; Inspired by Food Network
A rich and buttery shortbread cookie crust is layered with peanut butter caramel and melted chocolate and finished with a sprinkle of fleur de sel. This is decadence my friends.
2 hrPrep Time
45 minCook Time
2 hr, 45 Total Time
- 12 tablespoons of butter, cut into cubes and chilled
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 2 14 ounce cans of sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
- 6 ounces of semi sweet chocolate, chopped
- Fleur de sel (optional)
- Butter and flour a 9x13 pan and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a food processor, add the flour, sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Pulse a couple times to mix.
- Add the cubed butter and pulse until the mixture starts to come together and the butter looks like peas.
- Press the shortbread mixture into the pan to form a crust.
- Bake for 20 minutes or so until the edges are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- In a heavy saucepan, add the sweetened condensed milk, butter, and peanut butter.
- Stir and slowly bring everything to a boil over medium-low heat.
- Keep stirring continuously until it turns a amber color. This should take about 10 - 15 minutes.
- Pour the peanut butter caramel over the cooled shortbread crust and spread evenly.
- Cool to room temperature.
- In a double boiler (or glass bowl over a pan of simmering water), add the chocolate.
- When the chocolate is melted, remove from the heat and pour over the caramel layer.
- Sprinkle the chocolate with a bit of fleur de sel and cool for about 10 - 15 minutes.
- Chill for an hour or so, cut and serve.
Thanks to our sponsors for Christmas Week. Anolon is donating a 5-piece Bakeware Set. Swing by their Facebook Page to show them some love. We also have Ball supplying us with 4 sets of Jars in their gorgeous Green Heritage Color. Swing by their Ball Canning and Recipes Facebook Page to say hello.
Swing by all the participants to see what they’ve been whipping up for the holidays:
- Coconut Layer Cake by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Monster Cookie Cake by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen (It’s Susan’s birthday today as well! Happy Birthday, Susan!)
- Chewy Molasses Cookies by Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie by My Catholic Kitchen
- Cranberry Berry Pomegranate Sangria by Mind Over Batter
- Cranberry Cheesecake by From Gate to Plate
- Eggnog Made Easier by Cookistry
- Eggnog Muffins with Eggnog Glaze by Food Lust People Love
- Finnish Pulla (Cardamom Coffee Braid) by Farm Fresh Feasts
- Red Velvet Fudge by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Millionaire’s Shortbread Cookies by Cooking In Stilettos
Giveaway Prizes include:
One 5 piece set of Anolon Bakeware Set
Two Sets of Ball Heritage Collection Quart Jars (each set includes 6 jars)
Two Sets of Ball Heritage Collection Pint Jars (each set includes 6 jars)
One Set of 1 Dozen Assorted Cookie Sampler Box from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen Bake Shop
Two Sets of Brownie Brittle Snack Sampler (each set includes One 5-ounce bag of each flavour)
Plus 1 Copy of each of these cookbooks:
- One Autographed Copy of Make Ahead Bread by Donna Currie
- One Copy of The Mixer Bible by Meredith Deeds
- One Copy of 175 Best Babycakes Cake Pop Recipes by Kathy Moore and Roxanne Wyss
- One Copy of 175 Best Mini Pie Recipes by Julie-Anne Hession
- One Copy of The 250 Best Brownies, Bars & Squares by Ester Brody
- One Copy of Oatrageous Oatmeals by Kathy Hester
- One Copy of Adventures in Comfort Food by Kerry Alteiro
- One Copy of Food Truck Road Trip by Kim Pham
- One Copy of Decadent Gluten-Free Vegan Baking by Cara Reed
- One Copy of 100 Juices, Smoothies and Healthy Snacks by Emily von Euw
- One Copy of CopyKat coms Dining Out at Home Cookbook Recipes by Stephanie Manley
- One Copy of Copykat.com’s Dining Out At Home Cookbook 2 by Stephanie Manley
Other Delicious Recipes
Share the love
Get free updates