Do you ever see something – whether it’s in a restaurant, in a cookbook or on a tv show – and obsess over it thinking “I have to try xyz”. For me, that’s this cheesy gooey Queso Fundido that I obsessed over ever since I saw Marcela Valladolid make it on Food Networks’ “The Best Thing I Ever Made: Cheese.” I must warn you – this Queso Fundido is addictive. We’re talking two types of cheese, a mixture of spicy and sweet sausage (I’m still a wimp – feel free to substitute chorizo if you wish), onions and you will be so tempted to forgo the tortillas or chips and just dive in – it’s that good.
As I said – I’m a wimp so I decided to do a mixture of sweet and spicy Italian sausage along with blending a Mexican style cheese with a tried and true mozzarella for melty goodness. Fold a bit of this cheesy delight into some tortillas and you have one heck of an appetizer (or dinner should you wish this to take the starring role). Just remember, that pan best served hot out of the oven and prepare for lots of ooohhhhhs and ahhhhhhhhs.
On to the recipe:
Gather the ingredients
Sauteing the sausage, onions and garlic
A tale of two cheeses
It’s all about the layers – cheese, followed by sausage, followed by more cheese, followed by more sausage and finished off with a final dusting of cheese
Now – don’t you want to take a bite?
Adapted from Marcela Valladolid
This cheesy sausage deliciousness will have you making Queso Fundido for every party - spicy, cheesy and packed with flavor. Everyone will be begging for more!
15 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- Nonstick Baking Spray or Oil for greasing the pan.
- 2 links of spicy Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 links of sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups of mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups of Mexican blend cheese
- Warmed tortillas (or your favorite tortilla chips) for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Lightly spray a 9x9 baking dish with non-stick baking spray or mist with a bit of oil and set aside.
- In a saute pan, over medium high heat, break up and saute the sausage until browned.
- Add the diced onion and garlic and saute until translucent.
- In the baking dish, sprinkle a layer of cheese, followed by a layer of the sausage onion mixture. Continue with another layer of cheese and then he remainder of the sausage onion mixture. Finally, top the sausage onion layer with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling.
- Serve with the warmed tortillas (or chips if you so wish) and enjoy!
Other Delicious Recipes
Share the love
Get free updates