Welcome to Day Two of Christmas Week. This event is hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Susan of The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen. We hope to inspire you to break out those holiday sprinkles and get your bake on!
Y’all know I love my bourbon. I have to say, I used to be a rum gal but these past few years, I’ve found myself baking and cooking more with bourbon. I love that smoky flavor it imparts and when I was thinking of recipes that I wanted to make for #ChristmasWeek, well, I had to do something a bit boozy, right? These Bourbon Brownies pack a bourbon punch – in the batter, in the “glaze” fresh out of the oven and in the frosting. If this is wrong, I don’t want to be right.
Clearly – these are not brownies for the little ones. These Bourbon Brownies are strictly for the grown folks – those that enjoy a good glass of that amber nectar after a long day at work. Just grab one of these brownies and a hot toddy of sorts and curl up by the Christmas Tree. If you leave these for Santa – you better leave a note he might need a designated driver – or have Rudolph at the wheel. He might be a bit jolly after a few of these.
On to the recipe:
Gather your ingredients
Let’s start to make this brownie mix – first – bring the sugar and butter to a furious bubble
Adding a bit of pecan love to the rich deep chocolate batter
Ahhhhh… bourbon frosting too – hey – it’s a double duty ingredient
Now – look at these lovelies
I wonder if there’s a two brownie limit…
Aly M. Cleary
These Bourbon Brownies have a bit of spirit - not only from the bourbon in the batter but with a bit of bourbon love in the frosting.
40 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
1 hr, 10 Total Time
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 8 tablespoons of softened butter
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1 1/4 cup of chocolate chips, dark or semi-sweet - your call
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 2 teaspoons of bourbon
- 3/4 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt (I used vanilla salt)
- 1/2 cup of toasted pecans, chopped
- 2 - 3 tablespoons of Bourbon
- 3 tablespoons of butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
- 3 - 4 teaspoons of milk, adding a teaspoon of a time
- 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 - 2 teaspoons of bourbon
- 2 ounces of melted chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease an 8x8 pan and dust with flour or nonstick spray.
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, melt together the sugar, butter and water.
- Swirl until everything is melted and bring to a bubble over medium heat until the mixture is just boiling.
- Remove from the heat.
- Fold in the chocolate chips until everything is melted
- Add eggs, vanilla and bourbon and stir with a wooden spoon until everything is just combined.
- Fold in the flour, baking soda and salt until everything is combined.
- Stir in the pecans and pour into the prepared pan. Spread the batter evenly.
- Bake for about 25 - 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool the brownies on a wire rack and, using a pastry brush, lightly brush the bourbon over the warm brownies so that it soaks in.
- Cool completely on the rack.
- In a large glass bowl, using a electric mixer, beat the butter until fluffy for about 30 seconds on medium high.
- Gradually beat in the powdered sugar.
- Add 2 teaspoons of milk, the vanilla and bourbon. Beat for a few minutes. If the frosting is still stiff, add milk one teaspoon at a time until it's spreading consistency.
- Spread the frosting over the cooled brownies.
- Using a fork, drizzle over the melted chocolate to form streaks.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!
Thanks to our sponsors for Christmas Week. Anolon is donating a 5-piece Bakeware Set. Swing by their Facebook Page to show them some love. We also have Ball supplying us with 4 sets of Jars in their gorgeous Green Heritage Color. Swing by their Ball Canning and Recipes Facebook Page to say hello.
Swing by all the participants to see what they’ve been whipping up for the holidays:
- Chocolate Shortbread Wedges with Pistachios by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Turtle Hot Chocolate by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Raspberry Rum Tart by Cookistry
- Chocolate Saltine Toffee (aka Christmas Crack) by Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Pecan Brownie Bites by Farm Fresh Feasts
- Peppermint Brownie Cookies by Mind Over Batter
- Bourbon Brownies by Cooking In Stilettos
Giveaway Prizes include:
One 5 piece set of Anolon Bakeware Set
Two Sets of Ball Heritage Collection Quart Jars (each set includes 6 jars)
Two Sets of Ball Heritage Collection Pint Jars (each set includes 6 jars)
One Set of 1 Dozen Assorted Cookie Sampler Box from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen Bake Shop
Two Sets of Brownie Brittle Snack Sampler (each set includes One 5-ounce bag of each flavour)
Plus 1 Copy of each of these cookbooks:
- One Autographed Copy of Make Ahead Bread by Donna Currie
- One Copy of The Mixer Bible by Meredith Deeds
- One Copy of 175 Best Babycakes Cake Pop Recipes by Kathy Moore and Roxanne Wyss
- One Copy of 175 Best Mini Pie Recipes by Julie-Anne Hession
- One Copy of The 250 Best Brownies, Bars & Squares by Ester Brody
- One Copy of Oatrageous Oatmeals by Kathy Hester
- One Copy of Adventures in Comfort Food by Kerry Alteiro
- One Copy of Food Truck Road Trip by Kim Pham
- One Copy of Decadent Gluten-Free Vegan Baking by Cara Reed
- One Copy of 100 Juices, Smoothies and Healthy Snacks by Emily von Euw
- One Copy of CopyKat coms Dining Out at Home Cookbook Recipes by Stephanie Manley
- One Copy of Copykat.com’s Dining Out At Home Cookbook 2 by Stephanie Manley
You May Also Like
Share the love
Get free updates