This Easy Chipotle Tamale Pie is a delicious idea for dinner packed with lean ground turkey, tomatoes and spices nestled under a cheesy cornbread crust. This is the perfect comfort food!
This post may contain affiliate links to products I adore and trust in my kitchen. Thank you for supporting Cooking In Stilettos.
When that chill is in the air and I’m craving something comforting but with a bit of spice, one of my favorite go-to dishes is this easy Chipotle Tamale Pie.
This is the ultimate comfort food dish with a lot of sass! Layers of sauteed ground turkey, tomatoes and spices are nestled underneath a cheesy cornbread crust. Doesn’t that sound delicious?
I first fell in love with this recipe years ago and over time, I have switched things up and adapted it for my mood, what’s in the pantry, etc. It’s a great recipe to play with. I often make it with ground chicken but decided to go with ground turkey today, much like the original recipe.
Also, while the original recipe calls for chipotles in adobo, I must confess, I got a bit lazy after a long day at the 9to9. Whenever I open a new can of chipotles, I hate to have them regulated to the back of the fridge as a science experiment so I often break out the mini food processor and go through the process storing the leftover chipotles. Sadly, there was no leftover chipotle puree in the freezer and, as I glanced at the unopened chipotle can, I made an executive decision. Thankfully, I had a jar of chipotle spice powder in the spice cabinet which saved the day.
Don’t tell anyone, but I think I liked this version a bit better. Leftovers are fantastic for lunch the next day as the flavor just intensifies as it sits. I was already asked when it was going to be on the dinner plan again. Serve with a light green salad and you will have a dinner that your friends and family will love.
So, when your dinner menu needs a bit of spicing up and you still want something comforting but with a bit of sass, make this Chipotle Tamale Pie!
On to the Recipe:
Gather your ingredients
Bloom the spices with the turkey
Let’s add some tomatoes to the mix
And bring it all to a bubble
Layering the cornbread batter
Now – this is a dinner that will be a family favorite
Chipotle Tamale Pie
This Chipotle Tamale Pie is so easy to prepare and packed with smoky Latin flavors. Made with ground turkey, this Chipotle Tamale Pie is a lighter spin on a classic.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 10
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 pound of lean ground turkey
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of Adobo seasoning
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of chipotle chile powder (or you can use 1 – 2 minced chipotle chiles)
- 1 15-ounce can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can of fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 1/4 cups grated Cheddar, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- 1 (8.5-ounce) package of cornbread mix
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup of milk
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- Cooking Spray for greasing baking dish
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Lightly spray an 8 by 8 inch baking dish baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Add the ground turkey to the skillet and sauté for a few minutes until it starts to develop some color.
- Add the diced onions, bell pepper to the skillet and sauté until translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for a minute more.
- Drain off any excess fat and add the cumin, adobo seasoning, Mexican oregano, smoked paprika and chipotle chili powder to the turkey mixture. Cook for a minute to bloom the spices.
- To the turkey mixture, add the tomatoes and black beans and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until heated through, about 7 minutes or so.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add 1 cup of cheddar cheese and the parsley or cilantro. Stir so that everything is mixed thoroughly.
- Spread the mixture in the baking dish, making sure that everything is even and compact.
- In a bowl, whisk together the cornbread mix, mil, egg and salt. Fold in 2 tablespoons of the remaining shredded cheese.
- Spread the cornbread batter over the turkey mixture and then sprinkle the remaining tablespoon of cheese over the top.
- Bake until the cornbread is golden brown – about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Let stand for 5 – 10 minutes to let everything set. Cut into squares and serve.
My favorite picks for this recipe:
You May Also Like
Share the love
Get free updates