Lightened Up Coleslaw is a delicious twist on the standard coleslaw recipe. Fresh shredded cabbage and carrots are mixed with a delicious flavorful yogurt dressing. Who wouldn’t love this at your next BBQ?
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links to products I trust and adore in my kitchen. Thank you for supporting Cooking In Stilettos.
Memorial Day is fast approaching and I know many are in the midst of planning cookouts, trips to the shores and lots of fun in the sun excursions. One thing I always love is that sweetly tangy coleslaw that they often serve out and about at various restaurants but who wants all of those calories with such a heavy mayo based dressing, right?
I tend to use a lot of Greek yogurt in my recipes lately – from topping a baked potato, to my fave caramelized onion dip, to baking in muffins and cakes so it was only natural that I would find a way to work Greek yogurt into the mix. Inspired by this lovely Green Cabbage and Yogurt Coleslaw from Everyday Food, I decided to pull out my food processor and get to shredding.=
While this Lightened Up Coleslaw is delicious – use it as a template for your favorite coleslaw – whether it’s adding a touch of smoked paprika or celery seed to the mix, or a different vinegar or even a bit of agave nectar – this recipe is the perfect base to play with. All I can promise is that your friends and family will pester you for the recipe and you can just shrug and say “I had some extra Greek yogurt in the fridge so I whipped this together” and reap in the accolades.
On to the recipe:
Gather your ingredients
Time to make the dressing
Thanks heavens for food processors! All dressed and ready to “marinate”
There’s a reason why this is my new fave coleslaw – it’s that good!
Lightened Up Coleslaw
Lightened Up Coleslaw is a delicious twist on the standard coleslaw recipe. Fresh shredded cabbage and carrots are mixed with a delicious lightened up yogurt dressing. Who wouldn’t love this at your next BBQ?
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 10 -12
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
- 1 large head green cabbage, shredded
- 4 carrots, shredded
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup of low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons of light mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon of cider vinegar (I used my favorite Honey Apple Cider Vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons of Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- In a large bowl, add the shredded cabbage, carrots and sliced scallions. Mix and set aside while you make the dressing.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the yogurt, mayonnaise, cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, sugar, and lemon juice. Add a touch of salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage, carrots and green onions and toss together until fully mixed.
- Let refrigerate for an hour or so (no longer than two) until the flavors meld.
- Toss again one more time and serve.
My favorite finds for this recipe:
Other Delicious Recipes
Share the love
Get free updates