Welcome to Day #1 of Appetizer Week, a multi-blogger event co-hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Kristen from Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker. With the big football game coming up, we wanted to make sure you had plenty of ideas for your game day spread. Each day we will be dishing up a different set of appetizers. We hope you enjoy this fabulous group of recipes. Tune in each day starting with Monday, January 20 and ending on Saturday, January 25. Lots of great prizes will be up for grabs so you do not want to miss one single day. Follow #AppetizerWeek on Twitter to keep up to date with all our amazing recipes and giveaways!
Are you getting your appetizers ready for The Big Game? When it comes to menu planning, I tend to look for appetizers that are comforting yet chic and one recipe that is ALWAYS a hit at my soirees are Southern Meatballs. I do a slight variation on the typical grape jelly meatball recipe and switch it up with some whole berry cranberry sauce. Mixed with some chili sauce, red pepper flakes, a touch of brown sugar and a squeeze of lemon and you have a meatball that is sweet and spicy and your guests will beg you for the recipe.
I decided instead of using frozen meatballs, I’d make some turkey meatballs from scratch. Plus – as y’all know, turkey and cranberry are a powerhouse flavor match. There was one hiccup with this recipe, however. I grabbed the ingredients and, being pressed for time, I was grabbing bottles, jars and boxes, lining up everything to get started and, like the blonde I am, I did not read the label of one of the jars. While the turkey meatballs were baking away in the oven, I went to make the sauce. I poured everything in the pot, took a quick taste and realized that I grabbed COCKTAIL SAUCE instead of chili sauce. While it might have worked, I personally didn’t want that distinctive horseradish bite so I had to start the sauce over from scratch. Note to self – stock up on chili sauce, hide the cocktail sauce and read the labels before I start on my culinary experiments!
These meatballs were a hit and will be on the menu for the Big Game. They simmer away, absorbing all of the cranberry deliciousness and a few hours later, you are rewarded with the most moist, flavorful and downright addictive meatball you have ever tasted. Next time you have a soiree, make these and reap the compliments that will be coming your way. Just tell them it was “oh something that I whipped up” and let them think you are a culinary wiz!
On to the recipe:
Gather the ingredients *doh – how could I not see COCKTAIL SAUCE*
Time to bake the meatballs
Take two – this time with CHILI sauce
Pouring the sauce over the meatballs in the slow cooker
Try to have just one – I dare you!
Aly M. Cleary
Southern Meatballs jazzed up with a bit of holiday spice. These meatballs will be a must make for any holiday, party or tailgate party!
20 minPrep Time
7 hr, 30 Cook Time
7 hr, 50 Total Time
- 2 pounds of ground turkey
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup of panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups of chili sauce (1 12 oz. bottle should work perfectly)
- 1 1/2 cups of cranberry sauce
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a bowl, mix together the turkey, egg, panko breadcrumbs, salt and pepper.
- Form into small meatballs and place onto a baking sheet lined with foil.
- Bake for about 15 – 20 minutes, until the meatballs start to lightly brown and are cooked through.
- Remove and place in the insert of a 4 qt. slow cooker.
- In a saucepan, mix together the chili sauce, cranberry sauce, Dijon mustard, brown sugar, and red pepper flakes.
- Let simmer for a few minutes, taste and add a bit of salt and pepper as needed.
- When the mixture comes to a bubble, turn off the heat and pour the sauce over the meatballs in the slow cooker.
- Stir to coat everything thoroughly.
- Set the slow cooker to LOW and let cook for 5 – 7 hours.
Visit all the other Appetizer Week participants for more Football Munching Temptations:
- Pizza Pull Apart Bread by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Grilled Guacamole by Kiss My Smoke
- Crab Layer Dip by Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
- Easy Individual Pizzas by Call Me Pmc
- Chocolate Malta Wings by Food Done Light
- Mom’s Famous Chicken Ball by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cheddar Bacon Dip by Yours and Mine Are Ours
- Tamari Roasted Chickpeas by Je suis alimentageuse
- Spinach Artichoke Dip by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chicken Wing Dip by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Microwave BBQ Meatballs by From Gate to Plate
- Pulled Pork Sliders by The NY Melrose Family
- Cheese Bean Dip by Wonky Wonderful
- Chipotle Cheese Dip by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Roasted Vegetables and Romesco Crostini by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Buffalo Ranch Cheese Ball by What’s Cooking, Love?
- Buffalo Butternut Hummus by Farm Fresh Feasts
- Mini Maryland Crabcakes by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Sesame Pecan Chicken Wings by Makobi Scribe
- Pina Colada Cheese Ball by Home Cooking Memories
- Roasted Tomatillo Salsaby Clarks Condensed
- Sweetly Spicy Southern Meatballs by Cooking In Stilettos
- Butternut Squash, Pomegranate & Goat Cheese Crostini by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Tex-Mex Chicken Salad Bites by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Caesar Mini Muffins by Food Lust People Love
- Four Cheese Garlic Flat Bread by Try Anything Once Culinary
Our sponsor for Day 1 of Appetizer Week is OXO. We are so happy they joined us today. OXO is dedicated to providing innovative consumer products that make everyday living easier. Their tools are designed with everyone in mind, they are not only efficient but they are also comfortable to use. As food bloggers we spend a ton of time in the kitchen. We need our tools to not only stand the test of time, but to be as user-friendly as possible. OXO tools meet all those requirements. You can follow OXO on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest, and Instagram.
Today’s OXO Prize Pack valued at over $256 includes:
- 3-in-1 Avocado Slicer
- 4 Piece Mini Measuring Beaker Set
- Citrus Juicer
- Hand-Held Mandoline Slicer
- 2 Cup Angled Measuring Cup
- 6 Piece Measuring Cup Set in Black
- 6 Piece Measuring Spoon Set in Black
- 3 Piece Large Bowl and Colander Set in Red
- Garlic Press
- Silicone Pastry Brush
- Utility Cutting Board in Red
- Pop Container Big Square in 4.0 Quart Size
- Pop Scoop
- Oil Stopper/Pourer
- Pastry Scraper/Chopper
- Coarse Hand-Held Grater
- Salt and Pepper Grinder Set
- 12 inch Silicone Tongs
***Giveaway is open to U.S. residents only. Winner must be 18 years of age or older. No substitutions or cash value will be given***
a Rafflecopter giveaway
***Disclaimer: This giveaway is being provided by OXO. #AppetizerWeek bloggers have not received product or been compensated as a part of this giveaway.***
You May Also Like
Share the love
Get free updates