This recipe is perfect for those days that you just don’t want to get TOO heavy and served with a side salad, these stuffed peppers are beyond perfect. I am a sucker for cheesy polenta so when I found these Polenta Stuffed Peppers online, I figured I’d make a few changes and when these came out of the oven, the house smelled amazing! With the smokiness from the smoked paprika that accented the sweet red bell peppers and the earthiness of the Herbs de Provence melding with the sharp cheddar and corn, this Cheesy Polenta Stuffed Peppers will be added to the permanent menu rotation.
On to the recipe:
Gather the ingredients
Always bloom your spices
Making the Polenta
Adding the finishing touches – what’s a little cheese between friends, right?
Stuffing the Peppers
Fresh out of the oven
Now – don’t you want one?
Martha Stewart Living
Cheesy Polenta Stuffed Peppers are a delicious spin on the stuffed pepper with a cheesy corn polenta filling
10 minPrep Time
1 hr, 10 Cook Time
1 hr, 20 Total Time
- 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter, divided
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon of Herbs de Provence
- 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 3 cups of chicken stock
- 3/4 cup of quick cooking polenta
- 1 package (about 10 oz.) of frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 red bell peppers, halved lenghwise, ribs and seeds removed
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon of butter over medium high heat.
- Cook the onion until lightly browned and translucent - about 5 minutes or so.
- Add the Herbs de Provence and smoked paprika. Saute for another minute or so.
- Add the chicken stock, salt and pepper and stir. Bring everything to a boil.
- When everything is boiling, quickly whisk in the quick cooking polenta.
- Stir frequently until the mixture is thick and bubbly - about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the corn, remaining butter and half of the cheese. Stir until the cheese is melted.
- Place peppers in a large baking dish - about 9 x 13"
- Fill the peppers with the polenta mixture.
- Let everything come to room temperature while you preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add a 1/2 cup of water to the baking dish and cover tightly with foil.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or so and then remove the foil.
- Top each pepper with the remaining cheese, return to the oven and bake for another 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy!
Cuisine: !Vegetarian Recipe Type: !Main Dish